Notices

why do I find it so hard to use tough love?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face why do I find it so hard to use tough love?

I want to thank everyone for their support yesterday. I've been going over in my head how I can be tough and stand my ground. I know I am just a wuss and that is why he takes advantage of me. I know I need to stand my ground and just tell him like it is but I find it very difficult to be aggressive its just not in my nature. any suggestions? I know this sounds so trivial to everyone else's issues but I have no one else to talk to, thanks in advance... Teeny
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I don't think you need to use tough love.

But, I think you do need to set boundaries for yourself that will protect you and keep you safe.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tough love is hard because, well because it's tough! It's not called easy love. There is an old saying, that a "rule isn't a rule, unless it has teeth". I always try to remember this when I want to just give in, let things go, because it's easier. If there is no tv until homework is done, no dessert before dinner, no whatever, it's because there is a good reason behind the decision. Let it go, and bye bye to your rules. It's the same for simple rules like the ones I just wrote, or really tough rules like "If we catch you using drugs, we will kick you out". Rules must have teeth.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is not about tough love, it is about you taking care of ourselves.

It does not come natural to everyone to be assertive and protecting their own bounderies – and if we have been in a relationship where our bounderies were not respected we can get to believe they do not matter – but they do.

There is a lot of experince in the Friend and familiy section, you should probably check that section also.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Take care Tenny.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are right his alcoholism has held our whole family hostage. just by the choices he made and threw the rules out the window. So I understand that I must set rules to protect me and the girls and if he knows the consequences and chooses to drink again then I have to stand firm with my decisions.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Theres no need at all to be aggressive in my opinion - but like Anna says I think we do need to learn to set healthy boundaries and stick to them.

There's a lot of support here and in other places like AlAnon

D