SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   65 days and slipping! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/309958-65-days-slipping.html)

Dolphin79 10-07-2013 05:52 PM

65 days and slipping!

:a108:
Hi I have been sober for 65 days and I feel like I am slipping. The last few days I have almost had a drink. Not sure if I can continue to fight this urge. Any suggestions?

Dee74 10-07-2013 05:59 PM

Hi Dolphin :)
what kind of support network do you have?

D

neferkamichael 10-07-2013 05:59 PM

Dolphin, 65 days sober is FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Just suffer through it, tough it out. The cravings will go away. Rootin for ya. :egypt:

cardoon 10-07-2013 06:07 PM

Don't play with the thoughts. Don't fantasize about it. You can do this. Keep goin'!

FourSeasons 10-07-2013 06:09 PM

Think about all the reasons you decided to stop. Think of where that one drink could take you. The urge will pass... The resultant binge may not...

FeenixxRising 10-07-2013 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphin79 (Post 4225563)
:a108:
Hi I have been sober for 65 days and I feel like I am slipping. The last few days I have almost had a drink. Not sure if I can continue to fight this urge. Any suggestions?

Welcome Dolphin, how bad are the urges? I have 66 days today and I have no urge to drink, and I've not had any urges for at least the last couple of weeks. Try to turn your thoughts to something else. Watch TV, walk, eat, whatever. The urges will subside with time, but you will have to ride them out.

And keep posting here.

soberclover 10-07-2013 06:10 PM

The thing is....if you are an alcoholic, the reality is that you will have to get sober at some point. Either you will have an awakening of some sort, or a medical or legal intervention. Mine was medical. I had to learn that if I continue to drink bad things will continue to happen. Nothing positive ever came out of my drinking. I had to learn to not pick up a drink.....no matter what. Do whatever it is that you need to do so that you don't pick up that drink.

Anna 10-07-2013 06:18 PM

Dolphin,

You're doing great and I know that you can get through this!

wakko 10-07-2013 07:00 PM

AA worked for me because I had a support network of sober friends to talk to and do things with. The meetings helped strengthen my resolve on a daily basis. For me will power alone was never enough.

LadyBlue0527 10-07-2013 07:01 PM

First, congratulations on the 65 days! Next, I'm glad you came here to post because you needed help.

On and off you've had urges correct? Realistically speaking you haven't craved alcohol every single waking moment for 65 days have you? This stuff comes in waves and you know that it goes away. Sometimes it can be pretty overpowering but when it is do just what you did come here. This too shall pass!

65 days is awesome, you CAN get past this! Do whatever is necessary to take your mind off of it.

Dolphin79 10-07-2013 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4225583)
Hi Dolphin :)
what kind of support network do you have?

D

I don't have a support network unfortunately. Majority of ppl in my life are drinkers!

Dolphin79 10-07-2013 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising (Post 4225597)
Welcome Dolphin, how bad are the urges? I have 66 days today and I have no urge to drink, and I've not had any urges for at least the last couple of weeks. Try to turn your thoughts to something else. Watch TV, walk, eat, whatever. The urges will subside with time, but you will have to ride them out.

And keep posting here.

Urges come and go. some days they are bad. I can be find and watching tv, see ppl having drinks on tv and start having cravings.

Dolphin79 10-07-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by wakko (Post 4225661)
AA worked for me because I had a support network of sober friends to talk to and do things with. The meetings helped strengthen my resolve on a daily basis. For me will power alone was never enough.

I will try AA. Thanks maybe that will help.

Dolphin79 10-07-2013 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 (Post 4225662)
First, congratulations on the 65 days! Next, I'm glad you came here to post because you needed help.

On and off you've had urges correct? Realistically speaking you haven't craved alcohol every single waking moment for 65 days have you? This stuff comes in waves and you know that it goes away. Sometimes it can be pretty overpowering but when it is do just what you did come here. This too shall pass!

65 days is awesome, you CAN get past this! Do whatever is necessary to take your mind off of it.

Yes my cravings are on and off. I know the cravings will pass but sometimes its harder to realize that. Thanks!

duane1 10-07-2013 08:12 PM

When you say: "I'm not sure if I can continue to fight this urge.", you are giving power to your alcoholic voice.
Even after 16 months, I have the occasional "urge". Every time, I just say to it, "No way, no how! Ain't gonna happen." You would be amazed at how fast that "urge" disappears when that is the only response it ever gets. The doubt is telling that urge that maybe next time I will push just the right buttons. A sure recipe for it to be back very soon and carrying a big stick. Certainly go to AA if it is available, the support will help. Also, look up AVRT. I found it very helpful.

Amajorityofone 10-07-2013 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphin79 (Post 4225750)
Urges come and go. some days they are bad. I can be find and watching tv, see ppl having drinks on tv and start having cravings.

A few things...

1. Confine your thoughts to the present. The most important day to remain clean and sober will always be today, and today only.

2. Each time you defeat a craving, your addiction becomes weaker. Thus, the last thing you want to do to debilitate your resolve is drink. Drinking strengthens the beast inside of you. So does excessive noise, which includes watching too much television when you could be fertilizing your mind with far more stimulative things such as fresh air, peace, quiet, soft music, or self educational reading.

When in doubt remember Drinking does not make things better.
Never has. Never will.

Good luck and God Bless :)

ProgressNotPerfection 10-07-2013 08:23 PM

Fan flippin' tasktic on the 65 days!! WOOT WOOT!!

I have good news and bad news: You never had to drink again if you don't want to.

Well, here is the deal. If an alcoholic stops drinking and creates a support network, finds new solutions to old problems (drinking is the duck tape solution to problems) then those cravings leave and become few and far in between. A support network could be A.A., a basketball team that doesn't drink, neighbors that don't drink, sober co-workers, family, ministers, etc.

Face it - if we hang out at the barbershop long enough, we'll get a haircut.

Best of everything!

MythOfSisyphus 10-07-2013 09:33 PM

First off, congrats Dolphin! You've made it over two months so obviously you're doing something right. Sometimes we get too overconfident when things are going well. The thing to remember is that you're in charge! You're driving the bus. Your addiction is just a voice in a cage; it has no power to compel you to do anything. It has only guile, but beware of it! It can be very subtle, very tricky. Its voice sounds eerily like your own. But what it feels is good to it is poison to you. It doesn't care about you, just its next fix.

If you think AA will help, try AA. Maybe you would like to try the chat room here for live support. How about next time you feel a powerful urge to drink, stop by SR and post instead?

advbike 10-07-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by duane1 (Post 4225784)
When you say: "I'm not sure if I can continue to fight this urge.", you are giving power to your alcoholic voice.
Even after 16 months, I have the occasional "urge". Every time, I just say to it, "No way, no how! Ain't gonna happen." You would be amazed at how fast that "urge" disappears when that is the only response it ever gets. The doubt is telling that urge that maybe next time I will push just the right buttons. A sure recipe for it to be back very soon and carrying a big stick. Certainly go to AA if it is available, the support will help. Also, look up AVRT. I found it very helpful.

I completely agree with this. I used to slip up after the urge would come on and I would "entertain" the thought, and mull over the consequences. Eventually I would convince myself it was ok. Now, as soon as the thought pops into my head, I just shut it right down and mentally change the subject. If I were to think about it even briefly I will begin to rationalize a drink. Ain't gonna happen this time.

ProgressNotPerfection 10-08-2013 05:12 AM

Thanks all for reminding me that the contemplation of the pleasure is a bad habit - I've learned to run done the list of what will really happen if I drink or use today....