SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   really need your support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/309942-really-need-your-support.html)

colagirl 10-07-2013 03:02 PM

really need your support

My interview went GREAT today, and I feel very hopeful. Unfortunately, I was also told some bad news that will affect a friend of mine and I'm feeling really upset and sad about it. I really don't want to react to this like a drunk and get wasted, but I need a lot of encouragement right now. Thank you.

Dee74 10-07-2013 03:06 PM

CG I'm sorry for your friend, but you have a very powerful reason not to drink.
Remember where this ends.

Stay strong - and congrats on the good interview :)

D

Hawkeye13 10-07-2013 03:09 PM

CG you will be able to be a much better support for your friend if you are sober and in control of yourself. Then you can be a rock for both you and her.

croydonlad 10-07-2013 03:12 PM

Well done on your interview but so sorry to hear you've had some bad news!

Just think, if you don't drink now that feeling of wanting it will soon pass. Read a book, run a bath, watch TV. Do something to distract yourself and you might feel different soon.

Also, just think how bad you will feel after drinking. Alcohol only temporarily deals with a problem or your feelings but alcohol is a depressant so will soon make you feel worse and tomorrow you will be hungover. That will just make things more difficult to deal with!

Keep away from the alcohol! Say to yourself: "I don't drink to make myself feel better."

You know alcohol won't help because you've come here to ask for support. You're doing the right thing by doing that.

Malgudy 10-07-2013 03:25 PM

Colagirl .. I am happy that you had a great interview and sorry for your friend but if you are really thinking of drinking to drown your sorrow then you should know that sorrow knows how to swim. Drinking will only take you to the state of ignorance of present circumstances temporarily and once the buzz has gone you are back facing the situation again which will make even harder for your to deal with and then you will again want to get in to state of ignorance and will be needing to drink again.. its never ending cycle unless you just don't take that first drink to escape the reality and be sober and available to help your friend in this difficult situation. Smiles...

Hevyn 10-07-2013 03:48 PM

Hi cola. This is the time to stay clear headed and sane - not foggy. You already know drinking doesn't do anything but bring us misery.

Happy your interview went well - that's great news.

colagirl 10-07-2013 04:12 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I knew today would be a challenge for me, but I wasn't expecting this particular turn. It's awful because I was given this info in strict confidence and can't say a word to anyone, so I'm suffering with it alone. I'll have to face my friend as if nothing is wrong for the next couple of weeks and that is going to kill me.

My body is screaming at me to drink, but my mind knows it's not the answer. I'm still at work so still in the danger zone, but my plan is to get home, change clothes, and go for a walk or to the gym (hopefully without buying a bottle on the way home).

least 10-07-2013 05:11 PM

You already know drinking isn't the solution, it's the problem. :hug: