Notices

All these physical maladies because of alcohell

Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsLamp View Post
This is exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thank you so much Alphaomega.
Me too!! Thanks for an excellent post
Old 10-08-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

anxiety

hello to all! when reading these posts I get the message that drinking causes anxiety /depression.for me,it's WHY I drank.any thoughts on this?good job to everyone trying to beat this .wish everyone well!!
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

This is why always try to encourage people to stick with their sobriety whatever they are going through.

Alcohol in my experience, seriously messes with being a healthy person . There is nothing like months and months of sobriety to get clear of it's long term effects .

For me a shallow depression i never realized i sufferd from went at about 6 months , Now at 25 months i think i'm begining to grow and learn as a person and personality again, after years of stunted growth as i just used alcohol and denyal to skip any challenges in life .

Thanks for the brilliant thread Alpha ,

Stick with it everyone

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-08-2013, 12:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Originally Posted by missymadr View Post
hello to all! when reading these posts I get the message that drinking causes anxiety /depression.for me,it's WHY I drank.any thoughts on this?good job to everyone trying to beat this .wish everyone well!!
missymadr ,
There is only one way to find out if it is caused by drinking . give up the drinking and stay stopped for a long while

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-08-2013, 12:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missymadr View Post
There are better things to treat anxiety and depression with than something that causes anxiety and depression.

I forgot to mention on my last post that I used to suffer periods of depression. They used to last months. But now I have these down spots that last a few days at most. I started drinking aged 12 and I believe I got into the habit of self medicating. But the thing is alcohol will make you more depressed, while you're drinking it and the next day. Why any of us think it was a good coping strategy is beyond me.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
There are better things to treat anxiety and depression with than something that causes anxiety and depression.

I forgot to mention on my last post that I used to suffer periods of depression. They used to last months. But now I have these down spots that last a few days at most. I started drinking aged 12 and I believe I got into the habit of self medicating. But the thing is alcohol will make you more depressed, while you're drinking it and the next day. Why any of us think it was a good coping strategy is beyond me.
you are right.in 2006 I quit alcohol.i had things to look forward to at the time.in last year life got to me and I gave in.now,i give in to quit again.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Wanna know something absolutely CAH-FREAKING-RAZY ???

Even with all of these things remedied...

I STILL fight the urge.

Daily, nightly. I battle to stay sober. Not "white knucking" because I'm working my program, but every damn night, I battle.

And I LOVE SOBRIETY. I Adore it. I Drop to my knees every morning and thank God, the Universe and anyone else who will listen how amazing this life is.

But because I'm an alcoholic, I will forever have to place sobriety above and beyond everything else in my life.

In order to have anything else in my life. I must stay sober.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alphaomega View Post

But because I'm an alcoholic, I will forever have to place sobriety above and beyond everything else in my life.

In order to have anything else in my life. I must stay sober.
^^^ And, at least for me, therein lies the key. As hard as it is to accept sometimes, that sobriety has to be my #1 priority going forward...FOREVER...that's where it's at for this recovering drunk.

Thanks for another brilliant post and starting another excellent thread, sister. xoxo
Old 10-08-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you for this! It's very inspiring.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This is wonderful! I'm so happy for you!
My blurred vision is gone, I had some type of crazy rash or something all over my hands, gone.
Gained 60lbs, lost 20 of that in sobriety. Bleeding gums gone. etc...
It is grand!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wow! These are so inspiring. Thanks all!!
Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have gone the opposite and gained weight due to my insatiable desire for sugar, sugar and more sugar :-(

But you are right AlphaO , so many other things like my blood pressure , twitching eyelid.,night twitches,lack of sleep,bloating was my favourite ' seeya later' symptom....good riddance !

It's not surprising really, is it ? Alcohol is in effect a poison, so once we remove it the toxicity it has to improve. Yay for us :-)

Ps..... You are right about the medications also... I'm only on 1 now! all the others , gone , gone gone...so not only are we saving money by not buying booze ..we are saving on medications too ..win win :p
Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

alphaomega, any chance you could give a rough timeline on how long it took for these symptoms to clear up? I have many of them including heart palpitations, high blood pressure, high heart rate, crippling anxiety, and mild depression.

I'm on day 10 sober and I already notice many of the physical problems have improved but I still have pretty high anxiety at times bordering on panic attacks. If not drinking actually cured my anxiety that would be all the motivation I need to never go back but so far it hasn't improved as much as I thought it would.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi End - I'm happy to share my experience. Please note though, I did see doctors for every last one of the ailments. And, with my buddy Dee's gentle nudging, went a month ago and got a full blood workup and physical. Also, it's important to note that I have not had 4 months of continuous sobriety, I have slipped 4 times. However, in that 4 months I would have most likely been drunk at least 20 of those days per month. So, I figured close to 80 binges have been avoided. So with that disclaimer being said, here you go.

Blood pressure came down within the first week but continued to go up and down for the first 2 weeks after total abstinence. The fatigue came and went for about a month, sometimes borderline crippling. The body twitches lasted weeks, they really scared me. From what I have read, next step is seizures. Auditory resolved fairly early - about 4 days. Eye twitches came and went for a while. Stomach issues were always bad the first few days after a binge.

Some days are better than others, especially with the panic. But I can say, wholeheartedly, that my anxiety has gone from a 10+ to a 3. I know I did some major neurological damage. So I imagine it will take quite some time to reverse that, if ever. I also have some severe PTSD that needs to be addressed, SOBER.

And I battle, daily, with this disease.

I just cooked a big celebratory dinner for my family and I'm exhausted. I'm not sure I'll ever enjoy cooking again as much as I did with a couple of bottles of chardonono. That's a reality for me.

But I'll still take it all to forgo those awful pharmaceuticals which brought with them a whole other host of physical issues.

Be well.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. I had my last physical exam two years ago and my blood pressure and cholesterol were a bit high. I have another one scheduled for this March and would love to get back in the normal range.

4 binges in 4 months would be a great improvement for me as well, as I typically binge about 3 times per week.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Of course I wish that it was continuous but I have learned so much from those slips.

There really is a difference between "quitting drinking" and "recovery".
What white knuckling means.
And how to reach out in scary moments.
I also learned that the disease has progressed even in abstinence.
I learned what my worst triggers are and what I need to work on healing emotionally.
I learned that just 3 glasses of wine means blackout for me now.
I learned that my body treats alcohol as a true poison and the flush I experience is because I don't have the enzyme in my liver to break down the alcohol.
I've learned that I scare a lot of my friends and family now because they are forced to question their own consumption.
I've learned alcohol will not lessen or diminish or eliminate any of my past hurts that propelled my drinking to begin with.
I've learned no matter how much I drink, my mother will still be a narcissist and I can't drink her away.
I've learned alcohol will not help me cope with anxiety. Ever. At all. Not even a little.
I've learned that I can't have so much as a single sip because that ignites the addictive fire that leads to bottles.
I've learned that despite my best efforts at healing my well deserved depression, as long as I continue to pour a depressant down my gullet, well, that just ain't gonna happen.
I've learned that my favorite time of the day is morning. Who knew ?

And because of all of this knowledge now, I don't think I could even enjoy a drink even if I could.

What a buzz kill.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

wow great post. best thread ever. Finally some actual tangible results of sobriety!

I hear so many people say 'it's unimaginably better' but they never elaborate.

Thanks so much for posting. I am really struggling right now but this info helps me a lot.

Be well,
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I can't believe I almost forgot these l

Blood sugar - used to be all over the place. Up, down, here, there, borderline diabetic. Low blood sugar is a huge anxiety trigger. Now, normal. And that's even with my nightly 30 pieces of mint M & M's (talk about delish).

Exercise - shaved 2 minutes off my mile. Because my heart doesn't want to explode out of my chest when I run now. And I'm no longer "sweating out the toxins" so it's actually a
privilege and a pleasure to be able to exercise.

Visual - my eyes would go all wonky in fluorescent lighting, or at dusk. Now, they are stable.

Bodily temperature - I actually get cold now. I used to be perpetually hot (not in the good way, in the mess way). I'd freeze my poor family out of the car. They used to say mom must be hanging meat again because it was like living in a meat locker.

Skin - dermatologist wanted to treat me for roseacea. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was gin blossoms. Never got that script filled either. Also, my 44 year old face no longer looks 64. It looks, well, not bad for 44. I did start breaking out like a prepubescent teenager as my liver released garbage but that's settling down finally.

Nails and hair are growing faster than I can keep them trimmed.

And that booze bloat ? Well, I still won't step on the scale because that whole body dis morphia female stuff needs to be treaded on lightly.

But, I can affirm that I'm in my skinny jeans.

My fat skinny jeans, but still.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Wow, you sound just like me. All of my problems have resolved themselves in sobriety too

I had alcoholic neuropathy which took a few years to diagnose. I went from having tingly little fingers to dead hands and arms every night, losing sensations in my right leg from my knee down, not being able to lift my foot of the floor from my ankle and walking with a floppy foot. All fine now, just the odd twinge of numbness

I had awful migraines, which again, took years to diagnose. They weren't like typical migraines or headaches. It just felt like my head had been trapped in a vice, for months... Then it would go away for a few weeks, and then come back somewhere else on my head. They were pretty scary.

I also had twitchy eyes, a freaky twitchy shoulder, popping noises in my head when I was trying to sleep/pass out...

Crazy anxiety too, borderline agoraphobic and frequent panic attacks when I was not at home. This was the worst bit.

And all the usual stomach complaints and chest pains.

I thought I was a hypochondriac, maybe not. My docs treated me like I was nuts but there was a lack of clear information on their part. I had always been honest about my drinking. I even had one doctor tell me alcohol doesn't cause nerve damage... none of them told me to quit until eventually a neurologist told me I'd need to quit completely to recover. I am so grateful that I did
How can any doctor in their right mind not believe heavy drinking can cause nerve damage?

It's a central nervous system DEPRESSANT.