Notices

Alcoholic clergy

Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic clergy

As a Catholic alcoholic myself, I did some research on Catholics with the same disease I have.

Priests, Nuns, Benedictine Monks - - - The monks sort of surprised me, but I suppose if I were making Brandy, wine, or beer all day on a Monastery that would be like letting the fox watch the chickens.

Anyway, it's common everywhere, and I know that there are some catholic-oriented AA groups out there. I don't want to say that I feel comforted by the fact that those with religious vocations have the same illness as I do, but I do feel like I am in better and better company.

4 days and counting.

Michael
Old 10-07-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you Michael and

I hope you have many sober days.

SR is a big part of my recovery.

Thank you for the great thread

I shared part of my fifth step with a priest even...there were a couple things I really needed to be assured kept private...it was nice and after he asked me quite a few questions about alcoholism and AA.

It didn't matter to him I was agnostic...nor that my 5th step wasn't a confession...
he was extremely interested in me as a recovering alcoholic, how he could be of service, and how AA was helping some of his parishioners.

My home group meets at a Catholic church...as do several in the area...

Sister Ignatia (non-alcoholic) was instrumental in helping Dr. Bob Smith.
Alcoholics Anonymous : Sister Mary Ignatia (1889-1966) May have started the "chip" system too!

though AA has no affiliation with any religious denomination ... for myself I am grateful they have helped us at least with meeting rooms, and have so since the 1930s.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA member

Calix is a society for Catholic Alcoholics,here in the UK there are groups in London,Coventry,Birmingham and Manchester.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blessings on the journey, Michael! Day 4 is just a brief interlude before Day 5!

Fishy
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Clergy

Yeah, luckily many Priests are very understanding of the alcoholic - - - many of them encounter us nearly daily. I did my 5th step without knowing it. I went to my first confession and just spilled it all out. Later it occurred to me that was in fact my fifth step. I'll keep repeating that step throughout life.

I was also relieved to know that I DO NOT have to take Sacramental wine at Mass. The host is sufficient! I just found that out and was happy to throw that in ..! I was quite worried about that one...if I have a sip of wine, that will turn into me stopping after mass and buying a gallon...
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No half measures

If it is AA it is not affiliated with any religon. There may be 12 step programs but not AA.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You might want to check out Father Martin's lectures on the steps http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...53537100,d.cGE
Old 10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Re:

No, AA isn't aligned with any religion. Sitting in the couple meetings I have, there are similarities. The 5th step for example, heck, from a catholic perspective, that is confession. That's what we should do once per month ideally (if you're a catholic) But then, there are the moral ideas. Service, restitution - - - I think these are concepts found in most religions, and I identify with them. So far I like AA. I think if you come at it honestly, it could work.

Michael
Old 10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No half measures

There are sorts of clergy in AA but that does not make AA religious. Father Martin is wonderful but his higher power is his higher power.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by wakko View Post
There are sorts of clergy in AA but that does not make AA religious. Father Martin is wonderful but his higher power is his higher power.
I was not suggesting that Father Martin had the panacea of all higher powers, I am not a Christian myself. The OP posted that he was a Catholic and asked about Catholic groups and while I don t think there are Catholic groups, I remember seeing some tapes of Father Martin and really liking his style.
I thought Michael might enjoy it too.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Re:

I should clarify that I am a new Catholic. I was confirmed May - 2012. I am not trying to press Catholic teaching. I speak for me. The world according to me. I can't speak on universal terms that everyone would relate to or accept. As long as that is clear.

Michael
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No half measures

Sorry for being defensive. It is just that there are about 10,000 posts from people that are afraid to go to a meeting because they are not religious or had a bad experience with religion. There is a common misconception that AA is a religious program which could not be further from the truth.

Although I have not listened to them I've heard nothing but good things about Father Martin. It is funny becsuse I am a Catholic and I am going to a meeting at a Catholic church in a few minutes but my faith has nothing to do with AA other than on a personal level
Old 10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Re:

For me, I think Catholicism and AA could probably work well together. The basic ideas are the same. All of them. Confession, atonement, honesty, love, service...these are all in harmony with it. People who were raised in religious systems may have hard feelings toward it, so it's understandable.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you Michael....it is(was) the hope of AA founders that the recovering alcoholic might find his/her way back to their religious faith!

Bill W wrote so in the AA literature

Once we sober up we are then faced with a living problem....and with diligence the 9th step promises become fact...actual fact

I wish you the
best!

Start a new thread if you want to...and/or post on other threads

You will find a world of help here...and you are helping others.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

never know when

Originally Posted by Michael1974 View Post

As a Catholic alcoholic myself, I did some research on Catholics with the same disease I have.

4 days and counting.

Michael
that is great that you have 4 days without a drink Michael

yes, us drunks can be found most anywhere

drunks don't go to heaven

thus you and I had better stay sober today

never know when one might be called home

Mountainman
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Amen.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No half measures

I've heard it said that religion is for people who do not want to go to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Michael, Yea for 4 days! It gets easier. The first few days were the hardest for me. I went to an Easter Service at a Methodist Church. They had our choice of wine or grapejuice. I was very proud to get in the grapejuice line. Alcohol is everywhere. yeh.