SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New here (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/309921-new-here.html)

LBirch 10-07-2013 11:26 AM

New here

I came across this website last week then spent the weekend drinking excessively and doing coke. Back looking for direction. I'm out of control and need help. Lb.

wiscsober 10-07-2013 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by LBirch (Post 4224959)
I came across this website last week then spent the weekend drinking excessively and doing coke. Back looking for direction. I'm out of control and need help. Lb.

:welcome LBirch

SR is an integral part of my recovery, along with AA and Alanon.

I also support many newcomers directing them to Narcotics Anonymous.

Please take care of yourself and seek out medical help if needed.

I didn't use coke but I drank heavily on different medications.

Amazing this old man is still kicking! But happy, sober, fairly content.

Addiction/Alcoholism is very treatable...take it easy on yourself today and the next few days...

hope to read more of your posts soon...you helped me.

hayley86 10-07-2013 11:56 AM

Welcome LBirch, there is tons of support here. Glad you have joined us. Wishing you well.

IOAA2 10-07-2013 12:13 PM

Welcome. As stated there is a lot of help here and fellowship like AA. Whatever you choose work and time is involved, it's not as easy as HO,HO I'm not drinking anymore lets get on with life. Most work is rewarded with a feeling of being comfortable in our own skin.

BE WELL

JadeSatellite 10-07-2013 12:18 PM

Welcome LBirch. I have found reading these posts and talking about what you're going through and especially your feelings is really cathartic and helpful. Do you feel that you need more help, like going to a group, or a crisis center for mental / substance abuse? Have you ever tried to stop before?

least 10-07-2013 01:59 PM

:welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family. There is lots of support here for those wanting to stop drinking. Let us help you get sober. :)

HeadLump 10-07-2013 02:04 PM

Welcome LB. You've made a great start as you'll find lots of non-judgemental support, wisdom and experience on here. This site has certainly helped me. :):)

Can you tell us a little bit more about what's brought you here?

Dee74 10-07-2013 02:08 PM

Hi and welcome Lbirch :)

SR is a great resource - you'll find a lot of support advice and ideas here.

I ran back out into addiction too, many times...mostly because I was scared I think...change is a big thing for me.

you're not alone here tho :)

LBirch 10-08-2013 06:16 AM

Thank you for all the welcome messages. I did not drink or use last night. I found an AA meeting to go to tonight. Just hoping that is enough for now. This site is great!

w2r 10-08-2013 08:21 AM

Welcome LBirch.
You must be ready for a change.....You are here!
Well done! on not drinking last night already!
AA meeting tonight?
I'm putting my money on you!!

LBirch 10-08-2013 11:51 AM

I made it 4 mos sober about 3 years ago. Since then it progressively got worse including the substance abuse. I really don't want to go to rehab. I'm hoping to find that meetings and therapy will work. Is this too much to expect?

Dee74 10-08-2013 01:40 PM

Noone can answer that question - it takes what it takes I think.
Some go to rehab others don't...

Give whatever you decide to do your all, Lbirch :)

D

longbeachone 10-08-2013 01:44 PM

You've come to the right place...help is here waiting for you. Welcome!

pinkdog 10-08-2013 01:51 PM

Hi Birch, welcome. You came to a great place for support. Maybe find a counselor to talk to or a meeting. If you need help to physically stop, go to the doctor. These things can help. Best to you. :ring

Spinach 10-08-2013 01:52 PM

Sometimes you've got to plan hoping just doesn't ring the bells of change.
If I were you I'd plan to come here on a regular basis.
After 30 years of hope I found this place, it can do so much , once you want it.
John.

JadeSatellite 10-08-2013 01:55 PM

Try out the meetings and therapy, and really throw yourself into them. Make a promise to yourself to really make it happen; sometimes just making a true promise to your *sober* self can be a real motivator. And come and talk to us often!