Notices

Finally the turning point

Old 10-07-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally the turning point

Quick recap for those who don't know:

Drank heavily for years. Quit August 15th. Relapsed a few days ago. Had to go to the ER the next day, I had gotten close to a stomach bleed. This is day 4 and I'm still sick from it but healing.

Anyway, the last couple of days have been quite introspective for me. My mind went all over the place and I did a lot of thinking. One moment I looked in the mirror at my pale face from being sick and thought "Good God man, what are you doing to yourself?".

I just prepared a new ORS solution to rehydrate since my bowels throw out everything that comes in. I'm a mess.

That's when I looked at the whole picture. It's like one of those zoom out scenes in a movie where you go from, for example, seeing a city to seeing the whole planet. And I looked at myself. I saw the whole picture. And it's so obvious.

It was the turning point for me. It's where it came into full focus that I have to quit drinking and get my life back on track. In that moment, any desire to drink evaporated and I feel a huge relief.

Now I'm motivated to stay sober because of how great life is without alcohol.

I feel good about never drinking again.

J.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you are healing from your stomach bleed and that you have realized that you never have to drink again.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am glad that you are healing after your relapse James. If i were you i would take what happened with ending up in ER as a big warning. Now is a great time to get sober and work on recovery. Life is much better without alcohol. Wishing you best of luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I hear you on your realization. Drinking is too much of a fight. The fight to maintain, to limit, to keep things in perspective, the fight to have control. The whole thing is too much. I found freedom in walking away from alcohol. What i am capable of is far greater than what I presented to the world while drinking. Keep looking at the big picture. Keep walking forward. Do not look back.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good to hear James!! Glad you are healing. Keep up the healthy thoughts!!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you, James! Keep the resolve! Heal!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Way up go James!!!!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Yes, I hear you on your realization. Drinking is too much of a fight. The fight to maintain, to limit, to keep things in perspective, the fight to have control. The whole thing is too much. I found freedom in walking away from alcohol. What i am capable of is far greater than what I presented to the world while drinking. Keep looking at the big picture. Keep walking forward. Do not look back.
(lovely post, Mizzuno )Yes, keep walking towards freedom, James. It is SO worth it