Notices

Nightmares :( Dogs :)

Old 10-07-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares :( Dogs :)

Okay, so this is the first weekend I haven't had any alcohol in probably nine years. This summer I rarely drank on the weekdays and rarely drank more than three drinks on any weekend day, so I was incredibly surprised to have woken up last night to several nightmares about drinking, and nightmares about this forum. One time I even ran into the living room, yelling. (panic attack?!?) I haven't had a drink since September 29th, which was last Sunday and I have had no physical withdrawals because I really wasn't physically addicted to alcohol. Saturday night I slept terribly, as well, but we were at a hotel and I felt hot. Anyway, anyone have any experience with this?? Do you think these sleep issues are related to my body being used to alcohol on the weekends?!? I was with my heavy drinking father and alcoholic mother this weekend, so that may have upset me?!? Thanks for any insight. I am bummed because I was sleeping so well the rest of the week and waking up so refreshed. I guess part of me is worried that I am obsessing about this whole drinking thing too much and maybe spending too much time on the forum?!?

On a happy note, I love seeing all of the animal lovers on this site and I love seeing the pics of everyone's pets. We have three dogs that bring a smile to my face whenever I think of them. Animal therapy is the best, isn't it?!?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think sleep can always be a big problem in early recovery. Your brain is used to a chemical at the weekends and your not doing that. Maybe try some herbal tea?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had crazy dreams, or nightmares, for awhile. I am on day 70 something. It gets better. Dogs are the best, I have two giant dogs that make me smile everyday.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In my case, the nightmare phase passed quickly.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Although I am new to sobriety I can say that exercise (for me) is the best recipe to a decent nights sleep.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a few nights of bad, and surprisingly vivid, dreams at the start. From what I've seen posted on SR, this is completely normal.

In fact, you could look at it as real evidence of progress, in that your brain is already recalibrating to the new state of things.

You raise the possibility that this is a reaction to "obsessing about this whole drinking thing too much and maybe spending too much time on the forum." I do not think this is the case, because nightmares about drinking are a common occurrence in the early going after quitting. Keep going!!!