Notices

Best friend still drinks

Old 10-07-2013, 12:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best friend still drinks

My beloved best friend drinks and doesn't think she has a problem with alcohol, fair enough, her call. We have drunk together all our adult lives. I come from a crazy alco family and she doesn't. I love drinking with her, it's been fun all these years but I am sober now and she is saying "what? You won't even drink on special occasions?" And I regretfully say "nope- because it will probably lead to drinking more often than that".
Alcohol causes cancer. It inhibits my mental health and spiritual growth, these are the top reasons I don't drink. It's hard to let go of the old times, but I'm a 34 year old breastfeeding mother of 2 young boys now. I don't want to be pissed (Aussie for drunk) breastfeeding them and I don't want to show them that regular alcohol drinking is the norm.
I have to remember all these reasons and get to more aa meetings too. And find a sponsor dammit!
Old 10-07-2013, 12:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friend-

You have control over your mind, not over other adult people or outside events. Realize this and you will find strength. I would also refrain from thinking too far ahead. If possible, confine yourself to the present. Today, and today only will always be the most important day to remain sober.

Good luck and God bless
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks a majority of one.
Wow I really needed that reminder to stay in this day ONLY. I freak about everything, but all I need to do is calm the heck down and stay in the day. Who cares about special occasions? They are only one day, and they will be special because I'm fully present for them.
And I won't wake up with a hangover!
One Day at a Time.
Might get it tattooed on me haha
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry your friend still drinks but the only person you have control over is yourself. Keep yourself sober and maybe you'll be a good influence on her.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It must have sounded like I want her to change- I don't. She's her own woman. My concern here is that her wondering about me never drinking again will make me fall off the wagon.
I'll just keep going to aa and get a sponsor ASAP
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have strength and confidence in your abilities.

Only you can make you drink again.It does get easier being around drinkers as time goes on.If she's a true friend maybe you could meet for coffee,lunhc or other non drinking activities
Old 10-07-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ex, surely the fact you are breast feeding ought be justification enough for you friend that you do not want to drink? If she is such a close friend why is she trying to get you to drink rather than support you? I feel this is a case of her wanting her drinking pal back, which to me is very self centred and not the actions of a friend. I suggest you try to arrange meetings at cafés etc rather than each other's homes so you both get sober time around each other. If she is unwilling to do that, you many need to consider whether the friendship is more important than your sobriety
Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Hi ex u seem to be a strong woman who knows her own mind.

On ur friend i have a friend like that and i know how hard for it is for me. You have given reasons why ur not drinking and i think they are good, wish and find my own guts to do what ur doing. xx I hope ur friendship keeps going strong im sure she will maybe find one day to do the same.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys
She is a very close friend. Pretty much my best buddy. Oh we have had a blast drunk but we also have a blast sober too. I went to an exercise class and the spa/sauna/gym today. We have a good time. Man everyone needs friends who they can have real fun with sober as well as drunk. It's lonely being around the people that you only get drunk with. I've had some friends like that. Pray for me, wish me luck.
I'll do the same for you xx