Notices

Recap From This Weekend

Old 10-06-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recap From This Weekend

Today marks my 21st day without an alcoholic drink. I feel great, im meeting most of my goals and people are taking notice of my progress.

This weekend i got invited to one of my cousin's birthday party which was held in a club in NYC. I walked in greeted everybody and took a seat. I drank redbull and a orange juice while i was there. A hour into it i started going through anxiety as the lights and loud music was getting to me. People offered me drinks but i kindly decline. As every one was drinking getting loose, i felt real stiff as i sat in a corner with my juice just observing. At one point i was filled with smiles just looking at every one dance and trying to have a good time but after 2 hours of just sitting there i started to get bored.

Im 27 years old, single and alcohol was my way to loosen up as i could be a bit anti social and not really interested in engaging into conversations. i recalled people asking me if i was alright and why i look so mad but i was just tired and really not entertained. Before, i would of had a blast drinking and dancing but now, it's not the same. I had to experience that and see for my self that im not really missing any thing.

My other friends who just sit around, drink, get high and talk sport are no interest of me since my sobriety. I need to be around like minded people and engage in new activities.

I would love to hear what you guys do on the weekend and your time off. I just look forward on going to the gym but that leave me with nothing else to do besides cook and kill time surfing the net.

Any how, thanks for reading and blessings.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I've gotten the "is something wrong" a couple of times just because I'm sober. I'm just quieter and more reserved when not drinking. When I would drink I would be far more outgoing but I think also somewhat obnoxious as well.

I am 29 years old, single and alcohol was my way to relax. Unfortunately it went from a way to relax to the only thing I did. Weekends would go by with absolutely NOTHING getting accomplished. It was so bad that after I got sober, I actually paid a house cleaner to come and get my home back in working order. She spent hours working to get everything clean again after months and months of neglect.

Now, my weekends are filled with to-do items. I am keeping the house clean so I don't have to do that again, completing projects that I put off for years, cooking and getting outside and enjoying the weather before it turns. I'm also a bit of a geek so I built a home theater PC to act as my cable box, bought new speakers and a receiver for the family room and, this weekend, built a new TV stand so that has kept me occupied.

I had to leave most of my drinking buddies behind because the bar / club scene just doesn't work for me sober. I'm ok with that for now and I know in time I will find a new group as I get more settled in to my sobriety (I'm 35 days in).

Hang in there and good job on 21 days sober!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I'm bored I take a nap or walk the dogs, especially love walking the dogs. It gets me exercise and fresh air and improves my attitude.

I can't respond to the social thing as I'm very much a homebody who doesn't go out much.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. Went to a friend's bbq last night and they were all drunk and having a blast and I just wasn't feeling it. But I knew that they would all wake up feeling like death today while I woke up feeling fantastic. I've been keeping myself busy by doing hobbies I was always too hungover to do. Walking is amazing. It takes my mind off everything and the fresh air helps me clear my head.