Notices

New to forum...no idea

Old 10-06-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to forum...no idea

Hi. Name is Shane. Been living in a place where alcoholism is an olympic sport for 20 years. Might as well be northern Alaska. I'm not alone in this but am alone in wanting to change. Need a little help. Have been to aa 4 times for various periods of time. Always felt better and left. Can't keep trying that. Will try to attend aa again in addition to seeking help on as many levels as it takes. The meetings are so far away and work schedule doesn't allow. Not quite sure what I signed up for here but I'll take any help I can get. Before I go baring my soul I'll see if this thing even works.
Thanks.
Shane
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Having a place to vent and talk about your frustrations has been very helpful for me, and I haven't even been a member for very long. It's helpful to know you're not alone and that the feelings and problems you're having are common for a lot of addicts.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Shane, you will find lots of support here. For many people here, this is their only support.
You may find it interesting to reflect on your previous attempts to stop drinking and consider what you might do differently this time to insure a different outcome.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What seems to be a great technique I learned about here is AVRT: Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shane,

SR is a great place to come for support and information.

We do understand how hard this is.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fairplay View Post
Have been to aa 4 times for various periods of time. Always felt better and left.
Very common story.

If history teaches us anything, it is simply this: every revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction.- Dune
This is very true for sobriety in AA. Many people get their feet under them and think they can leave AA behind and just set the cruise control and before they know it all the bad is back.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! This is a great place for support in stopping drinking. Stick around, read and post. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Shane...so glad you've come to join us! Recovery isn't easy, but having a community of supportive people, like SR, can make a world of difference. Welcome!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Shane! You found a wonderful place for support, encouragement & friendship. The people here gave me the courage to change my life. We're glad you're here.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow. Thanks for the support.

The support is overwhelming. I'm very glad I found this forum. I quit my job 3 weeks ago and crawled into a bottle. Have new job waiting but there is no way I could show up in the shape I'm in. This is day one all over again...Same DT's...Same Shakes...Same Detox all over again. I couldn't even go to an AA meeting right now, but I will. Seeking other therapy as well. I believe this is the fifth time I've quit. Gets worse every time. Talking with others is something I don't have a lot of in my life unless it was at the bar. I just can't keep going like that. AA was always helpful but when the meeting was over I was on my own. I live at the top of the rocky mountains. The nearest meeting is 28 miles away and the next closest is 40. Perhaps this will help fill in the gaps. Thanks for all the supportive comments. It gives me a hope I wouldn't have otherwise. For right now I'm going back to cold sweats and shakes. I'll post again soon. Thank you so much for being out there.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Malgudy - SS - 31-Aug-2013

Welcome Fairplay. Really nice to see that you are once again deciding to put a cork in it. I Hope this is for the last time. Yes this is a great forum.. nothing is better than being connected with the people who beat the evil alcohol and most time from the worst position from where we are.. and learn how they succeed in their path of sobriety. Its truly amazing what an effect it has made to my life just by reading a story, experience of someone sitting on the other side of the other whom i have never met. We are the people, we are the universe and we are nearly there ... I wish you all the best in your recovery... Smiles.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Shane - hope you feel better soon

D
Old 10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Shane, and welcome! I am looking forward to hearing more from you in the days ahead. Get some sleep, eat well, lots of water, and let us know what is on your mind!
Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

Welcome, Shane! Have you talked to anyone at the meetings about other locations? There's always the random chance that there's a meeting closer to you. Have you gotten any phone numbers of people to call? I've found that rather useful... If I'm having a good day, I'll call someone to see how they're doing... If it's not such a good day, I'll call someone and see how they're doing. If nothing else, it seems I can usually find someone having a much worse day and it puts it all in perspective for me.

Very early in sobriety I started praying as well... It's something I was pretty much embarrassed to share with anyone, but it's something that really helped. I started doing it because it was relaxing... I kept doing it because so much more has come of it.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fairplay, CO

Unfortunately Fairplay is a tiny mountain town at 10,000 feet above sea level. We don't have much in the way of resources but there are plenty of alcoholics...mainly so called friends of mine. We all enable each other pretty well. The ski town of Breckenridge is the nearest place I have found with meetings. In every other direction it's 40 to 50 miles. I've become such a hermit these days just drinking at home that I don't have many associations left. It's hard to type right now with the DT's but that'll pass. This forum has already proven to be a very useful tool for me and has got me somewhat optimistic about this change. I've done this before and failed but at least I know what to expect. In a few days I'll be back at the ski area surrounded by happy healthy people. This should help as long as the shaking stops by then. I'm just happy to have found this forum in the meantime. The first few days of sobriety are critical. Thanks for the comments and support and for being out there everyone.
Shane