Notices

Need Help

Old 10-06-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Help

Hi. I am hoping someone will be able to shed some light on my situation. I have been in a relationship with a man that I really care about. He has been sober for 20 years. I am very proud of his commitment to AA and his sobriety. My problem is this - we recently had a very big fight over something very trivial and insignificant. He typically shuts down and refuses to talk about anything unpleasant. I tried to get him to talk but was not successful. I've tried to get him to communicate with me so I can move on and maybe learn from this experience. I have told him how I would like to work things out but he doesn't want to -- totally cool, I understand. I want to move on but he will text me or see me out and tell me he wants to talk and will even set a date to talk but then never calls. It drives me crazy because I love him and he knows it. I don't get it. Is there something in the personality of an alcoholic that encourages this type of behavior. Has anyone else had a similar issue?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea why he is behaving this way.

It sounds like it's time for you to move on with your life.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a personal problem, not an alcoholic one. Alcoholics are as different as ...ordinary people.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like he's not sure what he wants. Or is afraid of commitment maybe. I'd give him his own space and see what he does.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
getting there

Sounds kind of like he's playing games with you. I don't think it's an alcoholic problem, but I would probably stop responding to him if that's the way he's treating you.