Notices

denial is incredible

Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

denial is incredible

Hi - Just had to share this. I cannot believe the level to which I was in denial!

Now that I've started to pull my head out and dry up I can see the millions of ways I was denying responsibility of my own life!

The biggest scare is the financial mess I'm in. Has anyone else had to dig themselves out of a serious financial mess?

Thousands of dollars in student loans for grad school, overdue bills, collections, etc. It's ridiculous because I make very good money, but I may as well be making minimum wage with how much I've taxed myself financially. I'm 36 and still paycheck to paycheck. It's unbelievable -- I just imagined it would somehow magically go away, that I'd always have a bail out.

Now I feel, for the first time, that I can face it and cope but I wonder if I'll ever truly be able to dig out. Amazing how an 'adult' can be so childish in the most important of ways.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I understand that. I've worked my face off for years both artistically and in "real" world jobs and as it stands I'm about a year behind in terms of debt etc. As in, I am a full years income in debt etc. Always thought it would just work itself out. Now I realize I am going to have to work it out. Ahhh, reality.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it happens, even to many people who have not lived a drinking life.

Google "debt strategies" or "get out of debt strategies" and you will find a lot information to help you resolve your financial situation. It takes time, but if you're working and have a paycheck you can reduce your debt and build some savings. And working to fix the situation will help to reduce your financial worries.

One suggestion I have would be to call your credit card companies and ask them to reduce your interest rates (assuming you have credit card debt). It doesn't hurt to ask, and most companies will work with you.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
My firm recommends this organization to anyone struggling with severe credit issues: National Foundation for Credit Counseling

They are non-profit and it's free to contact.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are very helpful forums for people just like you (and me) at myFICO® Forums - myFICO® Forums. There's an area there called "Rebuilding Your Credit" that has been a lifesaver for me. Great advice and good people. Check it out.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! My husband and I went through bankruptcy years ago and even that didn't wake me up to it...eeks.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of good advice here, Lala, and I hope you can begin your journey to financial security.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you get help and manage your money, you'll be able to eventually dig yourself out. It will take time and planning but you can do it.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am 39 and make good money. I live like a student thanks to my drinking in that I have loads of debt and old, worn furniture in the house. I have opened a high interest saving account and my plan is to put my money that would usually be spent on drinking in to this account. I have cut up my credit cards and have increased my payments. I have also taken extra shifts at work. If I drink again I will blow this. My dire, messy and unnecessarily disorganised money management is purely because of my drinking. All the best. Xx
Old 10-07-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hear you all. With the wife and I both on pills, nothing but the essentials got done. It's mind blowing, even in my 14 th day sober. Thanks for those links, we will make though. You guys and gals are an amazing inspiration for me. Time to start digging!