Notices

Citalopram 20mg crazy and cravings

Old 10-06-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Citalopram 20mg crazy and cravings

Each so I'm on citalopram 20mg, have switched to it from lexapro 20mg, about 3 weeks ago I changed to these tabs. I have been sober and have been going to aa meetings since 22nd September.
These stupid tablets make me feel so irritable, teary, yuk.
I also get major alcohol cravings on them and sugar cravings too.
I do wonder if I am actually an alcoholic or is it just these tabs, but then I look back in my history and I used to be drunk 1-2 of times a week.
I was a binger I guess. Never blacked out.
I guess I just have to stay sober and more will be revealed?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know we are not supposed to give medical advice but for what it's worth I take citalopram as well. My experience was an increase in anxiety initially which is one of the listed side effects and I felt this increased my cravings for alcohol and sugar.
Citalopram mixes very badly with alcohol. A lot of people report severe hangovers and withdrawal mixing the two. Everyone is different but I would suggest doing anything in your power not to drink. All the best.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good morning, I'll chime in here. Call your Dr. on Monday and maybe he can switch you to a different dosage or different medication. Be honest with the Dr. They usually understand and are on your side! My goodness, you might not want to mix the two and besides if you truly desire sobriety, why take a pill that increases your cravings to drink? TF
Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.
Yes I'm taking myself off to the doctor on Wednesday, she only works once a week down the road. She's an Irish doctor and understands alcoholism! Lol.
I hate these cravings. I get so irritated and stressed on these pills, I have 2 little boys who need me to be calm. I'm so proud of myself I haven't drunk in 2 weeks. 14 days today I think- since 22nd sept.
I am going to do some housework tonight, I'm hitting the gym tomorrow. I will get a sponsor this week too. I will also get down on my knees and pray every morning and do steps 1,2 and 3. Gratitude list every night.
Onwards and upwards.
The problem in front of me is never greater than the power behind me.
Xxxxxx
Thank you so much for being here. I feel so much love here and in aa. Xxx
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

SSRIs and SNRIs didn't do a darned thing for me while drinking. I didn't attribute any anxiety or hangover aspects to them that weren't caused by drinking - more and more all the time. When I quit drinking, of course there were withdrawal symptoms like insomnia and anxiety. But I still believed alcohol was the culprit.

Within three or four weeks, my mood changed dramatically, and I haven't looked back, other than to eliminate my citalopram. I still take the wellbutrin, but now it's a minimum dosage.

You have been sober for two weeks. If your physician knows about your drinking, I would stay the course for a while longer. Get busy and active in your life, and find some things to do that make you feel good when you do em. Your choices are huge now, and this part is up to you. You know that stuff that non alcoholics do? Do that.

Onward!
Old 10-08-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ExWinoMom View Post
The problem in front of me is never greater than the power behind me.

Thanks for this - I needed to hear this this morning! Gratz on two weeks - your sons have a wonderful mother! All mothers get irritable from time to time. This too shall pass and your boys won't even blink --- if you went back to drinking on the other hand ........
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shoot! I'm on Citalopram. Didn't know it increased cravings for drinking Too bad I can't ride that excuse for the 20 years of drinking before I started Citalopram!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Firstly, congrats on 2 weeks!! Thanks also for the positivity. Needing that today Thought I'd share my experience with Citalopram below.

I'm on 30mg for anxiety and depression. Been on them for about 5 years (with a break of 9 months). They do wonders for my anxiety but both times I've started the tablets they increased my anxiety and irratibility significantly. That went away for me after a couple of weeks but definitely worth discussing with the doctor if you find it doesn't for you.

I definitely wasted a lot of tablets getting drunk while I was on them. They don't work at all when you drink. They also made whole nights out a mystery even if I didn't seem 'that drunk' to others. They also gave me delayed, stronger, longer lasting hangovers. All and all really not a good combination!!

I'm not sure if they've increased my craving for alcohol (think that's inbuilt!) but they sure as hell increase my sugar cravings. Whole bags of Haribo, large bars of chocolate and it still isn't enough! I'm allowing myself to give in to those cravings at the moment seeing as I'm still early days giving up the booze. I'll lock up the sweets again eventually though!

If you decide to change or stop taking them definitely discuss tapering off with the doctor. I had BAD withdrawals from them (albeit I was stopping after 3 years of 20mg a day) which my GP didn't think to warn me about!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's funny that you posted this because I recently went off citalopram. Before starting it almost 2 years ago I only drank on the weekends, never blacked out, could stop when I wanted to. About 2 months into being on them, I CRAVED alcohol all of the time, started drinking every day and blacked out all of the time. I recently weaned off of the them, but I do think it is too late and I now need to just stay away from alcohol all together.

Good luck, keep us posted!