Notices

Anxiety!!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety!!

Have always struggled a little with anxiety and drinking sort if quelled it. We'll I'm finding I'm having a hard time going to sleep at night because I sort of feel like I'm having a panic attack. I guess I've relied on alcohol so long to relax that any other method makes me anxious? I've used lavender, melatonin, warm tea, meditation, and I find myself starting to relax but then I start to notice my heart beating and I start to panic. What the hell?? I had a severe panic attack after using pot butter one time and had the same sensation, although with the pot I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. I think it was paranoia, because my husband talked me down and felt my heartbeat, and every time he told me me heart rate was normal and I started to feel it slow down. I feel like I'm getting a similar reaction to mild things like lavender and meditation. It's so frustrating. I'd started relying on OTC sleep aids to help me drift off but last night I took Benadryl and still felt a little panicky. Can anyone relate? Tips on what I can do?? It makes me miss drinking because I knew I could drift off after a couple glasses of wine with no anxiety.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

breathing exercises have helped me 83:

Breathing Exercises

if it's a chronic problem seeing a Dr might help?
D
Old 10-05-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seeing a doctor can help get you something to help you sleep.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm with dee. You can bio physically control your heart rate through breathing slowing down your entire system elevating anxiety, panic. It takes practice, but you can learn to regulate it noticeably. Also google bio feedback for anxiety/panic
Old 10-05-2013, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes time for old habits to disappear and new habits to develop. Don't give up on trying different alternatives as drinking doesn't help sleep at all in the long run. Now that I've been sober awhile I find I sleep much much deeper then I did before...it is nice to finally feel rested. This will happen for you. Give it time. How about relaxation music on Pandora for instance...works great for me.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's amazing I use to be able to drink like a 6'5" 300 pound male.... But could never take any medications/drugs/herbs without funky reaction. Try the breathing before reaching fir the medicibe cabinet
Old 10-05-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's funny because meditation and listening I music is very relaxing but once I get to that deep state of relaxation is when I start feeling panicky. Like my body is afraid of going to sleep. I'll try the breathing. :/ so irritating
Old 10-05-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been using melatonin, and it works for me, but I use another technique as well. Tense and then slowly relax your muscles from top to bottom. Imagine the anxiety leaving your muscles as you are relaxing them. You may have to do it a few times from top to bottom for it to work.

I was surprised this works, but it really does for me. My 11 year old daughter does it when she's having a hard time relaxing to go to sleep.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

83, I so understand the seeming fear of sleep! Put your arm over your hubby and feel his deep breathing, It always worked for me......umm, not my hubby, my wife.

Ron
Old 10-05-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 83mama0f2 View Post
It's funny because meditation and listening I music is very relaxing but once I get to that deep state of relaxation is when I start feeling panicky. Like my body is afraid of going to sleep. I'll try the breathing. :/ so irritating
My body struggles with the same annoying problem. When it happens, I cuss my fool head off, get up, grab an apple and stand in the kitchen to eat it.

The above really seem to help me. I think...THINK...my blood sugar drops because I also find my body is shaking during these episodes.

I just had an executive blood panel pulled and the tests results showed everything looked fantastic so that's good.

I stick very close to a paleo diet so processed sugars are out whenever possible, however, I have been known to grab a huge spoonful of peanut butter if I've run out of apples. That seems to work just as well but I try to stay away from stuff like that.

Well, that turned into a novel, didn't it?
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi mama, I had severe anxiety too. The thing that made all the difference for me is called urge surfing. It's a method for calming. I used to feel my heart beat faster and make it all worse by overeacting. Instead, take deep breaths and minimize. Google urge surfing. It really made all the difference for me. Best wishes to you.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've used lavender, melatonin, warm tea, meditation

Are you able to get out on any long walks? An early evening walk along with breathing and stretching exercises might help...
Old 10-08-2013, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Totally just realized what's causing my heart to pound and seem like it's beating faster. I think I'm taking too much of my thyroid medication. This has happened before and I think that's it. My heart actually is beating faster. Gonna back off my dose and see of that helps!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You should have your thyroid checked before changing your medication.

That said, I have found that when I am sober(but i also lose a few pounds) that I have had to adjust my thyroid med dosage, with my doctor's suprvision. The test came back indicating a need for a change. I suspect alcohol abuse contributes to poor thyroid function. (not causes it, but alters how it, or the med works).
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Best to get a medical check, just to be sure.
With benzo withdrawal I had sharp jerks when falling off, sometimes a loud bang.
It is amazing how alcohol and drug side effects can mimic disease.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
AlmA

Hi mama,

You have very good advice here...
I do sports to help me with anxiety, walk, read, sudokus, write,.....

then you should try Urge Surging as suggested by pink...
Just got to type it load of info.

It takes time to adjust,
but the more you think about it,
you say to yourself ĻI can not sleep as I do not drinkĻ
the more you repeat it,
the more you believe it, you can not sleep, the less you sleep... a circle...
It is your monster telling you you can not cope without it.
A LIE.

I had severe anxiety and am on night medication, but really got to go to a doctor.
As you have hart palpitations,... You need medical advice.
Go to doctors to check it up.

Well done in Giving up, you will get used to it
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had / have the same problem. I used alcohol to pass out, and in the times I have tried to quit I had a truly hard time to fall asleep without it. I went to the doctor (a free clinic in my area, supported through a hospital) for free mental health help, and they prescribe me anti-depressants and an anti-anxiety - the anti-anxiety pill makes me drowsy and helps me fall asleep. Maybe you can look around for something like that to help you? I also made sure to ask for a NON-HABIT FORMING anti-anxiety because of my problem with addiction issues. Good luck!
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ugh.. I think this might be a vicious cycle I'm putting myself in. I'm worried I won't go to sleep, so I start panicking and makes me stay awake. I'm trying really hard to take deep breaths, relax, listening to meditation tracks, soothing music, and nothing seems to be helping. I was up too 2 am and slept lightly until 8. That was it for the day. Was tired but not too bad. I want to be able to sleep normally but I don't know how. Backing off my thyroid mess helped and I didn't take any unisom last night(read one of the side effects is increased heart rate), still struggling with insomnia due to anxiety about falling asleep I think.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, what are you anxious about, besides getting to sleep? I once took a class for generalized anxiety disorder and learned a few things. First, if you are worried about something, just think it through. Ask yourself what would happen if the worst outcome was to occur? Usually, once you think it through you realize that even if the worst happens, it's something you can deal with if necessary. You just need to shine the light on it. Also look at past events and how they turned out - often they were not as bad as we thought. So learn from them. We often assume the very worst will happen - but it rarely does. And if it does, we can handle it. See? Even your sleep situation isn't the end of the world.

The bottom line is the thing we fear the most is the unknown - because it is unlimited. It leads to a constant sense of dread and anxiety. Just shining some light on our fears usually puts them into perspective. Lastly, accept that oftentimes it's not something you have control over anyway, so put it into the hands of your higher power. By turning my problems over to God, realizing outcomes will probably not be as bad as I fear, and knowing that whatever happens I will be able to deal with it - I usually fall asleep without problems.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not worried about anything besides not going to sleep. The worry sets in at bedtime. I just can't go to sleep. And just to be clear, I downloaded a heart monitor app and my heart rate was normal.. 63-68 last night when I felt like it was beating sort of fast. I don't know why that is bothering me. I did try another meditation track last night and did fall asleep by the time the track was over... Guess I'll keep doing that