SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   My AV is trying to trick me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/309732-my-av-trying-trick-me.html)

phoebe64 10-05-2013 02:07 PM

My AV is trying to trick me

Into having a few beers this weekend. I got through last night. But I just heard hubby chilling some bottles and I am craving. It is 27 days. My last fail was a Saturday night.

And, really, if I had some, it would be a few. I just do not drink beer to the extent I drink wine. But that is not the point. I have a plan that I want to be sober and I will keep to it.

Just challenging tonight. :headbange

DoubleDragons 10-05-2013 02:10 PM

Stay with it. Think of the pride you feel on the mornings that you didn't drink the night before.

stevie88 10-05-2013 02:11 PM

Stick to your plan rochele....Tell the AV to do one....It doesn't matter if it's just gonna be a few at the end of the day one is too many....Hope to see you posting here tomorrow on day 28....Take care...Steve.

HeadLump 10-05-2013 02:17 PM

Oh stay strong, rochele! Think how proud you'll feel in the morning and you'll be on 28 days - that's practically a month! :)

And if you're anything like I was, you'd drink the beer and would then start craving the real stuff - wine. And you might reason to yourself that you've already chipped your sobriety so you may just as well smash it! And what would tomorrow be like then?? :no:

If you've already got 27 days, you know you can do this. Ignore the beer and have something virtuous instead .. . .:newangel:

Dee74 10-05-2013 02:23 PM

Why not hang on SR instead tonight Rochele?

D

jaynie04 10-05-2013 02:24 PM

Rochele...the next few hours might be rough but they will pass. I was up early last Monday morning and on here (shocker I know). I saw the Monday morning regrets start posting, it made me sad. Not one of them said it was worth it. On Tuesday you will be celebrating a month? That is huge. Ride this out and think it through, you are absolutely worth it!

ScottFromWI 10-05-2013 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rochele (Post 4221267)
And, really, if I had some, it would be a few.

That's exactly what the alcholic in you wants you to think. You do realize what will really happen though, don't you? Be strong..you can beat that voice!

Uninvited 10-05-2013 02:51 PM

Rochele please do not fall for the old "I will drink less cause I really don't like this type of booze" line. Play the tape through to the end and see yourself waking up in the morning.

phoebe64 10-05-2013 02:55 PM

Well, my tape is usually a slow crawl back to a bad morning. But I still don't wanna go there.

I think of something I see Dee often post, "I have never regretted NOT drinking."

That is my mantra tonight.

phoebe64 10-05-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 4221301)
Why not hang on SR instead tonight Rochele?

D

:thanks That is why I started this thread. :)

Delilah1 10-05-2013 03:53 PM

Nice job being proactive!!

Freebird13 10-05-2013 04:00 PM

Did you tell your hubby how hard it is for you to NOT drink when you can hear him chilling bottles? I mean, seriously! Has he no consideration whatsoever?

Emily2002 10-05-2013 04:13 PM

Don't let it! Been having the same thoughts, myself, Rochele. :gaah

I've been white knuckling it all evening, mostly because I'm so tired, but now have to go to a fundraiser. Good because it's alcohol free, but bad because I'm so freaking exhausted all I want to do is go to bed!

Hang in there and keep posting. I know you got this and so many here have got your back!

:ring

Dee74 10-05-2013 04:17 PM

I think balance is important too NL - are you doing too much lately?

D

phoebe64 10-05-2013 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Freebird13 (Post 4221486)
Did you tell your hubby how hard it is for you to NOT drink when you can hear him chilling bottles? I mean, seriously! Has he no consideration whatsoever?

It has been said, that it is very hard fo rme to try to be sober if he drinks beer and it is around all the time. I do not think he can easily stop, just like me. But that is his battle to have, not mine. I do have to live with it if I want to continue raising our children together. And I do.

My history and ours together, is not one of drama and fighting, over this. We enable each other and were happy drinkers together. I got health problems, and got tired of hangovers and wasting time on it all. Trying to live a sober life. But there was no drama between us over it. And I think he drinks too much, and cannot easily just stop for me, like a person who is a "normal social drinker."

phoebe64 10-05-2013 04:37 PM

:hug: My friend, Newleaf! I know we have a similar issue here and we can do this! I am glad to see you here tonight. Have a good time at the fundraiser. Maybe you can duck out early and get to bed at a decent hour?

I think I am over the hump. Full from dinner. Goes back to the HALT thing too.

ImperfectlyMe 10-05-2013 04:49 PM

That HALT works everytime!!!! Hard to enjoy a drink with a full belly. I'm glad your past the desire. Remember this feeling because those cravings will come again for a while. It really is as easy as JUST NOT DRINKING in that moment.

Well done!!!

phoebe64 10-05-2013 04:59 PM

Yes, Imperfectlyme. I think it is hard for me now because there is a lot I cannot have, due to oral surgery 10 days ago. Sometimes I allow myself other indulgences and now, my choices are limited! It will be vanilla pudding later, lol.

GerandTwine 10-05-2013 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by rochele (Post 4221267)
Into having a few beers this weekend. I got through last night. But I just heard hubby chilling some bottles and I am craving. It is 27 days. My last fail was a Saturday night.

And, really, if I had some, it would be a few. I just do not drink beer to the extent I drink wine. But that is not the point. I have a plan that I want to be sober and I will keep to it.

Just challenging tonight. :headbange

Hi rochele,

In Addictive Voice Recognition Technique the verb tense you use about IT's stuff is important. IT wants you to keep it right here in the present. So, YOU can Recognize IT and put IT's "control" into the past.

"I just did not drink beer to the extent I drank wine."

When you say that, and something more direct such as "I used to drink alcohol," you will feel IT more intensely, possibly as an anxiety about your own truthfulness. That's getting into the nitty-gritty of AVRT. Not to worry, I don't think people can lie to themselves.

GT

CaiHong 10-05-2013 05:35 PM

Rochelle,
good for you. I think thinking about where that drink leads is a good tactic not to pick up, it's never - "few beers".

I found what you wrote about your husband and your relationship as good buddy drinkers interesting. How is it now that you are not drinking and he is?

I know when I was drinking I was quite happy to sit in the same spot for hours and chat as long as there was an adequate supply of booze.

CaiHong