Notices

Blind spots

Old 10-05-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blind spots

The news had a follow up on a old story where a member of our congress (or our equivalent) had walked around with a herion addict for half a day. The storry was, whether homeless herion addicts can be helped and whether the oppertunities they where given are usable. This politician was talking to this addict male, seemed to be in his late forties – he was high, it was more or less bs what he was saying – but it did higlight some problems.

This guy has been clean for a couple of years now and was interview this evening, he was probably in his early thirties and well articulated. I was surprised to see the difference, remarkable.

It is surprising that we do such things to ourself.

It does feel good to give into addiction at some level, but seen from a neutral point of view it is so obvious that people are destroying themself – whether it is drugs or alcohol.

I am convinced that we need blind spots to keep on with our addiction.

If we fully see the cost alcohol, pot or other drugs has on our lifes – I do not think many would be addicts.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great when people can turn their life around Have you got a link to this story?

I think not just blind spots but it is the rationalisations and excuses we give for our addiction which keeps us stuck. I knew what alcohol was doing to me but I excused my behaviour because of past troubles or comparing myself with others. It's what we do. I think that's why being around other addicts helps so much, because they can cut through the crap.