Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Dad is an alcoholic where can I get advice on how to help him.

Notices

Old 10-05-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
tsf

Hello,

I need advice on who to speak to and how to get help,

there are so many things that I need to speak to someone about

my dad is in denial he does not think he is an alcoholic how can I help him see he needs help and for him to not feel embarrassed about seeking this help
my mum is going to divorce him I don't know how to approach this or how to tell him this. At the moment she is staying with family but I don't think he realises that this is happening
my siblings also want to kick him out of the house but he has no where else to go as siblings can't deal with him I am now fighting with family to keep him in this house because I feel if he is kicked out with no where to go I am worried he will end up doing something to himself
I don't know what to do and I don't know how to approach this the right way. He is not going to be able to move forward unless he admits he has a problem. how do I get him to see this. Who can I speak to in understanding what I can do to help him through this and also maybe getting my siblings to understand what they can do to help too.
He has been battling with this my whole life mum has just gotten fed up now and left she has given him many chances. He stopped drinking for a bit but now my mum has gotten a job he has been drinking whilst she has been at work. he is depressed as he can't get a job which adds to his problem. my mum even went to the point that she breathalyses him and it returns a reading and he still denies it. What can I do please help.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I don't really know how best to proceed; it would depend on what state you live in. Hopefully someone else can offer something more helpful.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello,welcome to SR

Unless and until he admits he has a problem and wants help there is very little you can do. Look after yourself,perhaps an Al-alnon meeting may help you to understand this or there is a great Friends& Family forum onhere with people going through similar things to you
Old 10-05-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, and welcome. My mom is an alcoholic. I know what you are going through. It is very painful to watch someone you love basically slowly kill themselves. My mom has probably been an alcoholic for years, but I only started facing that this spring. Go to Alanon. You will learn you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it. I have decided to start looking at my mom's problem as a gift to me to face my own demons with alcohol, before I ever get to her level of dependence on it. Take care and read, read, read. It will better help you understand the nature of this beast.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You can't do much for your dad other than let him know you will support him if he decides to quit drinking. The decision is up to him. He has to want it for himself. I'd recommend AlAnon for you, as well as our friends and family forum.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-05-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

it's not up to you to tell him about the divorce. that is between mom and dad.

try focusing on your own recovery. try al anon. it's online, too!