Notices

Artists in Recovery

Old 10-09-2013, 05:39 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

It's good to get out Plenny, but I think that you are making a good call if you aren't feeling great.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Thanks. I may not have made a great impression, with the mood I'm in haha!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

And *you* may not have enjoyed it much either!
Old 10-09-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Here's one of my cartoons from about two years ago. I was thinking a lot about my drinking but I was also drinking a lot! I was very stuck artistically and really depressed about my process and my low output. This was at a time when I was thinking also about how my drinking affected my creativity.
This is an actual wine spill that occurred right after I finished drawing it.
There was a title, but it was just a string of expletives in quotations, so I'm sure you can imagine. This was pretty much my daily routine:
Attachment 19777

And the wine spill, I felt, made up the last panel. There's waking up groggy, having a husband in the background, crying from depression, working in an alcohol drenched industry, getting drunk again, sort of drawing (nothing good), and spilling wine all over. Then waking up hungover.... and on and on.
My life felt like Groundhog Day.

Last edited by Plenny; 10-01-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, artists.

I have a question for you. Have you ever been "accused" by your close ones, or even not so close ones, of being too "dreamy", "far out", "nerd", etc. My ex used to bug me all around that I am not enough "down to the Earth" and live in my own world.

I managed to cope with opinions of other people, even held quite "down to earth" job in finances for quite a time. But if I venture myself in new relationships again - Am I doomed to being always criticized like this?

Would appreciate your insight.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi MidnightBlue,

Yea I've been accused of living in my own world, not living in reality, not being practical. And I've encountered subtle attitude from cynical types who imply that people who call themselves artists must think they're better than other people, and what makes me think I'm so special or different...all that kind of B&^%#@^T. Those type of people don't seem to realize the sacrifices that some of us have to endure to be able to afford the time and space to make art. It's not just some pretentious luxury. And as far as personality goes, we are what we are, like if we're spacey, then we're spacey and that's all there is to it.

The artists I know never say those derogatory things. It comes from random people and acquaintances interjecting opinions about topics they know nothing about. And from family, who thinks I'm stupid, selfish, and irresponsible for investing my time and energy in something so worthless when I could be making tons of money doing something else instead (assuming I don't throw myself off a bridge in the process).

It sounds like your ex just didn't understand you very well. It's not always easy to find people who are right for us, but they're there. As far as the negative ones...STAY AWAY. Keep your chin up
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

@ Plenny...I really like your cartoon! Thanks for starting this thread.

I've had a lot of problems with alcohol interfering in creativity too.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thank you so much, ItsViolet! You've just made my day. BTW, I speak French)

@Plenny - Love the cartoons)
Old 10-10-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Well I'm usually told I'm "difficult," "particular," "overreacting," etc etc
That's funny as hell to me because I think it's marvelous to be difficult, particular, analytical, passionate. I've never been accused of being "spacey" per se, but I think I've been caught in a pensive and spaced out state by somewhat annoyed people. I guess they're annoyed because I probably look mad or critical. But I'm just developing the thesis for my next project or ruminating about how everyone thinks I'm "difficult!" Hahaha!

But it does affect me and I'm only just now learning to try to surround myself with people that aren't afraid of me or annoyed by me or YES even jealous of or feel threatened by my personality. Stick with the good ones, good advice!! trying...

Thanks for liking the cartoons that's one of my favorites. But you'd never guess it was me if you saw the other stuff I do. I do very detailed and grueling work. But I really prefer these sloppy cartoons. Something about the rushed drawings is so accurate and communicative and expressive. At least that's what I think

I just spent 14 hours in the studio. I woke up at 6:30. I couldn't rest. I worked my fingers to the bone. I feel like nothing happened though.

Do any of you ever work hard for a long time, and walk away feeling like you time traveled or something? Like nothing happened or like you were possesed? I sometimes feel like I don't know where the work comes from, and like it wasn't me. I suppose that has something to do with being the medium for the muse...
Old 10-11-2013, 12:32 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

"difficult"...yep, heard that one...and why, because thoughtfulness is some sort of inconvenience? sigh.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Are writers considered artists? That would be me.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Oh yes of course! Welcome Brooksie!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning artists! Found this Radio Lab about inspiration, procrastination, and the muse!

http://50.31.154.45/radiolab/radiola...9487047-193230

I hope it works
Old 10-11-2013, 04:37 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Pleny, I liked your cartoon. It reminded me a bit of another comic I love called cooking comically. Check it out.

I agree that there is something about simple work that cuts right through he proverbial crap.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Good morning artists! Found this Radio Lab about inspiration, procrastination, and the muse!

http://50.31.154.45/radiolab/radiola...9487047-193230

I hope it works
Radio Lab is one of my favorite shows!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
I just spent 14 hours in the studio. I woke up at 6:30. I couldn't rest. I worked my fingers to the bone. I feel like nothing happened though.

Do any of you ever work hard for a long time, and walk away feeling like you time traveled or something? Like nothing happened or like you were possesed? I sometimes feel like I don't know where the work comes from, and like it wasn't me. I suppose that has something to do with being the medium for the muse...
What often happens to me is that I get a concept for a project, then I work, work, work, work (a lot of my work is exacting too) and then it's done, and I look at it and it's like I don't know where it came from or how it got done. I don't feel as if I did it. In spite of the time, effort, etc...it's like it just popped up from nowhere. Very strange.

Haha...rather like childbirth...if I remembered the process in too much detail I would have been less likely to go through it again and again.

Because with certain types of art projects...after I get started I am like 'WHY am I doing this AGAIN" because certain parts of the process are tedious, mind numbing, frustrating, or literally painful (hours of holding Xacto knives, bent over a cutting mat, squinting and sweating over tiny detailed cuts)

If I thought about THAT part of the project before hand, I probably would never start it.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I know what you mean exactly. I worked for weeks on a hand built project that started with a "motherboard", in this case a large piece of porcelain clay, square. I decided I wanted it to look like Ireland, as I saw it from an airplane when we were flying across the country to Dublin.

I used small, square and angular pieces of clay to represent the acres of green, or fields of crops, or grazing animals. I then used vegetable leaves from my garden to press into the squares, to give them texture and add a personal element. After the first (bisque firing), I stained the piece in Brown oxide, then washed it so only the cracks in a the pressed areas were dark. Then I glazed the piece in a clear celedon glaze. I worked for several weeks altogether on this sculptured piece.

After the last firing, I had a big, clunky and ungainly piece. Honestly, it was just awful. We do still use it, it's actually a good holder for the mail. And I am fond of the silly thing. Once again, I'm going to try to post it for you, in the next post (I have to go through a long process to insert a photo here). Thanks for reminding me that even our sort of failed projects have a place in our hearts.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Here goes, hope it works!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Cool thread. Kind of touches on something I'm struggling with, which was posted elsewhere. Writer/Musician/Artist.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Threshold -- yes! It's an amazingly weird sensation. But getting started IS hard! Sometimes I just sit outside my studio overthinking the process and I'm like afraid to start!

Longbeachone -- it's music to my eyes to read all that pottery terminology. I have a very special place in my heart for pottery and potters. If I want to, I can conjure the smell of clay at the wheel or slab roller. It's an immensely comforting feeling. I might explain that at another time...
But dang it I cannot see your picture again