Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Need withdrawal process resource - loved one detoxing at hospital

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to know where I can go to find out about the detox process and symptoms for someone who is a decades long alcoholic (with at least 4 prior detoxes that I know of). Any sources you can point me to? I know the process varies individually but I'm looking for some validation of symptoms of delusion.

I have a loved one who is unintentionally detoxing at a hospital (on Ativan and librium) far away from me and is delusional at about 7-10 days into it. The hospital is thinking it may just be a new status quo for the person but I don't want to jump to conclusions until the detox process is over with (also unsure how long the withdrawal process might take to run its course). I know I should trust the medical professionals but there isn't anything that happened that would have caused a permanent decline in mental condition (they say no seizures or strokes have happened during this detox).

I could use some links to places where there some concise info on the withdrawal timeframe and symptoms.

The "unintentional" aspect is that they were in the hospital for a surgical procedure and before discharge could happen there were medical complications and soon after that the withdrawal process began. This is what I was told.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that you are dealing with such a difficult problem. I don't know the answers you are seeking, but I know someone on SR will. Good luck to you both!