Notices

2 day wine binge, desperate to be sober

Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 day wine binge, desperate to be sober

Hi everyone, I have been reading the forums for the past two weeks and realise that I have a serious alcohol problem. I didn't start drinking until I was 25 but I immediately developed a taste for the relaxation and freedom it gave me. Over the years people have always commented on how much I drink and in a sick way I actually felt proud of it. I never got into trouble, drove drunk of missed work so I figured it was ok and I was just letting my hair down and having fun. Fast forward to 14 years later and I sit here today, a shaking anxious mess, surveying the carnage in my house from yet another solo wine drinking session. I admitted I had a problem to my husband and saw a psychiatrist on Wednesday. I hadn't had a drink for 10 days but after the appointment I decided to celebrate my courage with a glass of wine. I am sure you all know how this ended. Today is day one for me. I hope I can do this. I am killing myself and my marriage. Thanks for listening
Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pipping, welcome. You came to a great place. I had to change my thinking. From drink as a reward, to sobriety as a reward. Very best wishes to you. You can do this.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Pipping! You'll find the encouragement you need here. Be proud of yourself for reclaiming your life. You can do it!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Pipping...this is a great place to begin your journey. I think a lot of us start out with carnage in a lot of areas. It's a miracle to watch people come back to life as they get sober. I am happy you are here...welcome!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Pipping. You came to a fantastic place for support. I am on day 4 of being sober and everyone here has helped me so much. Take a deep breath and take it day by day.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Pipping

I was a late starter with drinking too but it was no less catastrophic.

I know you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

D
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Pipping, glad you're here!! Keep reading and posting, lots of good people here to help you!!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Piping,
I didn't start drinking till I was 45. I started out very slowly, enjoying wine with friends and cooking......progressing to daily drinking to take the edge off of things. I remember feeling anxious and shaky....not a good feeling.

I stopped in June of 2012 and SR was my main support. You've found a wonderful site, filled with people who understand.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome - I was also a late starter x
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Pipping. It doesn't really matter how or when we start, it's how we finish. Just remember, you have the ability to do this, even if you don't feel like it right now. If you string a few days together, you'll feel a lot better.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Pipping! I too was a late bloomer; never touched the stuff til after high school, but I instantly took to it like a duck to water. I drank pretty hard for 25 years, til at age 43 I finally couldn't hide from the fact that drinking was killing me. It's now a reward, it's a poison. Each glassful takes away one dream, burns down one hope and breaks a promise we meant never to break.

Today I've been sober for one year. It's amazing now, looking back, at how different things looked then. Like you I though that alcohol was freedom from my worries and fears. But i would be closer to the truth to say that the bottle was my prison cell. Unbelievable that I sat in that cell suffering for 25 years before I realized the key was always around my neck.

You have your own key, too. SR helped me find mine, and can help you too.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Pipping, you will find lots of support and encouragement here. You can do this. Glad you have joined us.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You have taken the biggest step, prepare for some bad times but do not give in.
We can all do this, the support here is fantastic. I use all the time & money wasted on drink to start rebuilding my marriage & family & am just very grateful I caught it in time before people gave up on me.

Very best wishes to you on your journey x
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support. It is truly humbling, thank you.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good Morning Piping How are you feeling today?
Old 10-04-2013, 05:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Pipping! You will find a lot of support here and oodles of people who have been in the same place you were upon your posting. The key here is to constantly remember - Nothing good comes from that one glass of wine... Zero!... All bad!! It truly is poison in a bottle.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi Pipping. I was on a slippery slope for years, but when I discovered wine, that slope turned into an avalanche which started to engulf everything I valued.

From the moment I decided enough was enough and that moderation was impossible, my relationship with my partner (and with myself) improved enormously. We've always had a strong connection but at times now it feels totally unbreakable.

Stay strong, Pipping. A new life is waiting for you. Grab it while you're still in your prime! (I wish I had)

You managed 10 days so you know you can do it. And now you've got all of us to support you, too
Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi change it to "desperate to live again" because a drinking alcholic has no life at all. You wrote its killing you and your marraige, those are two serious reasons to stop. Think about them each time have the urge.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have almost 6 weeks sober. If I can do it, so can you.