Notices

2 months today and I think I'm feeling sober depression?

Old 10-03-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 months today and I think I'm feeling sober depression?

I'm very proud and happy to make it to the 2 month mark. I went to aftercare last night and it really helps to listen to stories of others who are ahead of me with soberity. I've been sick this week and my dog has been sick and work has again been super stressful so I'm sure it hasn't helped my mood. For the last week or so I've been feeling kind of sad almost depressed and that isn't me. I miss meeting my friends and socializing. I miss a lot of parts of my life right now but know that my recovery is my number one priority because it is my life at stake. I just wanted to know if anyone else is or has gone through this stage and hoping that it is normal and will pass.

Any encouraging words will be great because I feel kind of lost. Don't get me wrong my drinking world was about a 15 on a 10 scale and this is about a 6??

Thank you for reading
Old 10-03-2013, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Thats strange ACH I am 64 days sober and have felt the same way the last few days. But it is letting up as I had a great day yesterday and today has been pretty good. I just have to stay busy and try not to sleep during the day and isolate in my room too much.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes I felt like this in my early months at times but now I feel so different , like why on earth would I want to spend an evening in a bar surrounded by people drinking. It's such a cliche but time really is a great healer . Grind through these thoughts , everything gets better , a lot better
Old 10-03-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it takes time to build a new life ACH - and you have to build - it doesn't tend to come to you.

seek out new things to do and new people to do things with - give it time

D
Old 10-03-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 2 months sober! Good for you!

Give yourself some time to get through this. And, make an effort to find ways to enjoy your day. If the depression continues, maybe think about talking to your dr.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I struggled a lot at 2 months. I remember it really well, because I was really frustrated at home with the kids, short on patience and just didn't have the energy or drive to do anything. It was like a holding pattern. I'm mostly out of it now, but still have dips on a daily basis. I don't know how much of it is my personality and how much of it is recovery and how much of it is just the way life can be, now that I'm present for 100% of my life...

I hope it lifts for you soon.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I can really relate with the being sick, work is super stressful and feeling depressed. I just know that it will pass...it will change. I tell myself that I have to sit in this feeling and then walk through it when I have the energy, not around it. It helps me.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early sobriety can be an emotional roller coaster. Give yourself time to heal.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

ACH32, congrats on the 2 month mark! You're not alone and most have experienced what you're feeling, me included.

Sobriety is never a flat, straight road. It has lots of dips, hills, potholes, and eventually it smooths out. Then it repeats. You're shooting for more of those long, straight and flat stretches. It's important to come here when you're feeling the way you are.

Who else can put a smile on that face but us?

It gets better, just think of SR as your Sobriety GPS
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the replies! Made me and just what I needed. I just wanted to be reassured this too will pass. I had my bowling league tonight and wasn't going to go because I was feeling sad. I then decided to go because my team is super supportive of my soberity. I had a blast, vented, bowled awful and feel so much better now. It was weird because the drinking all around me didn't even phase me for a second which was new. All I can say is another day sober and VICTORY! I love the SR GPS comment Tomorrow while 75% of my team at work will arrive at our 9am meeting with glazed over eyes and hungover...... I WILL NOT and that makes me happy.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi ACH, google PAWS post acute withdrawal syndrome. Congratulations on 2 months.