Notices

Opinion needed. Which group?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Opinion needed. Which group?

Where I live there are TONS of AA meetings a day. Only thing is without a car I'd rather stay close (biking range). I've narrowed it down to two meetings. One is a beginners meeting 2.5 miles away. The other is a big book meeting two blocks away. They start at the same time, and obviously it'd be nicer to walk to the closer one but this is what I'm thinking.

I've been to AA in the past and one issue I've had is most big book or speaker meetings everyone seems to know each other and I've felt like the odd man out. I don't like to stick around because I find it awkward to have people randomly talk to me because I'm standing around clueless. Would there be more new people at the beginners meeting? What did you do first?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It might help to post this on the 12 step thread...you are absolutely welcome anywhere but you might get more response.

Others will be along but in the meantime I will answer based on what I know. A lot of times it is suggested to newcomers to try a lot of different meetings. It reminds me of the "this chair was too big, this one too small, this one is just right" process. It's great that you have a lot to choose from. Hopefully you will click with one or two new people and they will be able to suggest other meetings that they like and it gets easier from there.

There is likely not a person in any meeting that was not in your shoes one day. I went to rehab for 4 weeks. The first week I had to carry a map around like a major dork. Four weeks later I was helping the new people find their way around and it made me feel really good to help. Think of yourself as a free agent at the outset, kind of like tapas tasting!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go to one this week and the other next week. See which one you feel more comfortable in.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try the beginners meeting today. I could use the exercise to ease the anxiety a bit, plus it's nice out. And it would be easy to try different meetings here in Richmond. According to the website there are over 60 meetings a day (edit:today).
Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Another vote for the beginners meeting.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ditto! I agree---start with the beginners meeting.