Notices

Why am I in mourning

Old 10-03-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why am I in mourning

I Keep thinking about all The upcoming events that I'm not going to be able to drink at. I hate it. My college roommate Is in town and invited me to happy hour and of course I cannot go. I'm going to a football tailgate I'm 2 weeks and it bums me out that I can't drink. Going to the beach with friends in November and can't celebrate with a few cold ones. I know all the logical reasons why I need to stay sober and agree I need to but can't stop thinking about social activities I have to skip or sit through And wish I was drinking. How did you get through this. Does it get alot better sooner than later. How long did it take for you to be in the company of others boozing and you can be happy and not envious sober
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's only one day at a time you need to get through, that day that the social event is on, get through it, use SR, AA, etc.
I plan to do this. It does suck to think we can't drink with our friends, but you will be so proud of yourself.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I missed a lot of social events early in my sobriety. For me, staying sober was more important than the events. There will always be other events. Someday, I will be able to go to those events and enjoy being sober while others around me are getting drunk. Just think how good you will feel the next day while your friends will be wasting the day away nursing their hangovers.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I stayed well away from any social situations where people would be drinking for the first few months. I didn't want to risk my sobriety and recovery. When i felt more confident and i got through social events like Christmas and birthdays and stayed sober it was a milestone for me. It got easier each time. I don't feel envious if people have a couple of drinks around me now. I don't spend any time with people who are on a mission to get drunk though.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For me, every event was a drinking event. Therefore, to insure my sobriety, I avoided those events that put my recovery at risk.

I didn't mourn not drinking. I knew it was my addiction grieving, not me. The "real" sober me was blessed to be done drinking.

Three years sober, I still avoid alcohol-fueled social events. Not because I am afraid I'll drink. Because they hold no interest for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are mourning an abusive relationship, only with a substance, rather than a person.
Time and abstinence are great healers
Old 10-03-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

try writing a good bye letter to your drug of choice/alcohol.

it can be cathartic
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't sit through situations and suffer. I stayed away from people who were drinking for many months. It took most of a year before I felt comfortable around alcohol. So, I changed my activities and started doing different things. Not every social event has to involve alcohol.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I went to a wedding recently and people at my table were drinking. I just sipped on my water and made it through without too much drama. However, I turned down going to a friend's birthday celebration where I knew there would be a lot of drinking because I didn't want to be tempted.

I'm confident that as we get more time under our belts it will get easier but for now I'm doing my best to avoid "trigger situations". I have a business trip in early November to Vegas for four days and I know that will be a true test.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well CP, I think it is easier for me to be in the company of people who don't drink. I stay away from bars and happy hours and events centered around drinking. It would be torture for me to go and sip soda. Maybe that will change one day...but for now, it's more comfortable for me to be around people in AA. I really need to become more active in AA right now, make friends and go out to dinner and hang out, etc...doing non-drinking activities. That is my goal right now. Good luck to you.