Notices

AA meeting plz help ?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA meeting plz help ?

I would like to go to an AA meeting tonight but it says its a " big book workshop " and meetings and " open on request "

What does this mean ? does that mean i need some sort of book or that i need to book in ... im confused
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi,
it means that you are very welcome to go along and you do not a book, as someone will be reading a story from the AA book and then other people will comment on the story. It will be a story of how another alcoholic recovered. There will be people like you there for the first time and some who have been going for a few weeks, some for months, some for many years. You will be welcomed with open arms, compassion and understanding.
You will make many new friends, friends who do judge you, and learn how others have coped with their drinking. Tell us what it was like, you will help others who are thinking of going.
The
Old 10-03-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

No you don't need a book to go, just go. It will help if you tell them you are new.

The "open on request" is something I've never heard of before, but where I am, "open" meetings are open to the general public, not just alcoholics.

"The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking".

Best wishes to you!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I meant NOT judge, but you knew that. )
Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ah okay, I think i know what you mean thank you very much for that info.
My anxiety levels are through the roof im physically shaking but go i must. Ill report back when i get back.
I am covered in bruising ( from my arrest ) maybe i should wait until im healed incase i upset people, then again maybe not. Im sure they have seen worse...
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh tabasco that made me lol. Judge away i say, they cant be any tougher on me than i am on myself
I knew what you meant.
Thank you for the replies.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Yes , go . You may be surprised. Newcomer's are the most important person attending.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Petal, they have seen worse. Everybody shakes at the beginning!! Don't worry about it, it is one place where you won't be judged, it is part of your story. If there is one place that you don't have to apologize for not having it together it is in a group of people who are in recovery. We are all a mess at the beginning!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikyriky View Post
Yes , go . You may be surprised. Newcomer's are the most important person attending.
I agree. And those Big Book stories often bring you a "wow, I've been through that" moment. But definitely tell them that you are new.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Generally speaking, the worse shape you are in, the better it is for everyone. You get to make lots of progress, and they get to be reminded of what it was like. Let us know how it goes. I love to hear 'first meeting' stories. All the best to you.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of times Big Books are available at meetings, either free or pretty inexpensive ($10?). If you can, get one. The Big Book is sort of like The Bible of AA. And just like The Bible, people believe and abide by every single word, believe some things, use small sections and discard others and some even don't like anything in this book. Personally, I think there is a lot of great stuff in The Big Book, have had my own since practically the day I got sober, and recommended it to you without hesitation.

This forum has rules about debating recovery programs, but I hope it's okay for me to say that AA is the foundation that early sobriety builds an entire plan of recovery upon. Kind of like the elementary school of sobriety. Most people who quit drinking/using start with AA/NA and move into other programs (or stay loyal to AA for years, or even a lifetime).

I think you will feel a great sense of relief when you walk out of your first meeting. Early recovery is such a scary, confusing time. An AA meeting is the first place where many of us heard that we weren't alone, that people cared about us and our plight, that there was a plan we could follow that would get us out of our nightmare and that finally, we were taking some real action to change our lives. I remember feeling a bit of peace and happiness after that first meeting, and considering how disgusted and ashamed I was when I walked into it, it was well worth the courage I had to pull together to walk in the doors in the first place.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go to the meeting, I am sure you will be welcomed. They may or may not read from the stories. They may be studying from the first 164 pages. Either way, I am sure you will come away with something that you can use in your journey. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
No one will see your bruises. They will see a sick person who needs help. And they will want to help you.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petal View Post
Ah okay, I think i know what you mean thank you very much for that info.
My anxiety levels are through the roof im physically shaking but go i must. Ill report back when i get back.
I am covered in bruising ( from my arrest ) maybe i should wait until im healed incase i upset people, then again maybe not. Im sure they have seen worse...
Believe me, this is nothing new. I've seen people in all conditions at meetings. Don't give it another thought...just go.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i went to my first meeting last night. i was terrified and ashamed when i walked in. i walked out with a massive sense of relief. i am not the only one.

i went to my second meeting tonight. i'm going to hit all my local meetings and go for 90 in 90.

i honestly, genuinely did not expect it to click for me, but it did.

i hope you can take as much as i have from just 2 meetings. i am compiling a long list in my phone contacts under 'AA'.

be well. it's out there waiting for you.