Notices

Trying

Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, alli. I am glad you are here. I have found a great deal of support and advice from the good people here at SR. They truly "get it". Good luck.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR allihk - there a number of aussies here - and a lot of support and encouragement

SR really helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your kind words. Am trying again today. Day 1 here we come
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. It's a great place to hang, share, learn, support others. Worked for me.

One thing though: It wasn't bravery or courage got me through my first few days. It was pure fear. And remorse. Add a dash of dread, too.

I think what got me through was surrender. I Accepted I couldn't control drinking (actually didn't want to) and that what I had been doing simply wasn't working. So that acceptance slid into an overwhelming feeling that his is going to be really hard, that I'm going to me extremely uncomfortable, maybe even painful, but I was going to ride it out.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well I haven't been too successful this week. Although I am grateful that you have all given words of encouragement and I have selected a day to begin. I have a wedding this week do don't think I will get the chance to say no until after this celebration week is over. We will see. I have high hopes that I can say no but not sure.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found it best to stick to a date allihk.
There's always a party or a wedding or something, y'know?

D
Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You are very right Dee. I agree. That's why I have set my date til after this week. We are going for a week of wedding stuff away up north so I thought it would be better to get this out of the way as I have no events after that. I thought it would be better than beating myself up if I didn't not drink. In some strange way it's being kind to myself mentally. Off to hang out with friends at a music festival today. Good to be in the sunshine with people I love and trust and can be honest with. I will be away with them this week so I am going to ask them for help to get me through.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well here goes. Back to the beginning and day 1 today. Feel okay about this decision now.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good luck, Alli. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Firstymer. Sleep was horrific! Sweating like crazy but I expected that. It feels good to be clear headed. At work today (I'm in Australia)
Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

So it's day 2 and a little difficult with my housemate having a wine. I keep watching the glass hoping that she will finish it and then have a cup of tea! I even offered her one but she said no. She is aware and respectful of my mission and has said if it's too hard she won't drink. However I don't find it fair to ask her to stop her couple of glasses of wine for my drinking issue - oh she has a couple I have the bottle at least!

Anyway. Just thought I would get that out. I am having camomile tea instead to help with the touch of anxiety of the situation at hand. There is a breeze running through the house and I'm downwind of the glass and it doesn't smell too nice. Funny that. 😳
Old 10-16-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

If its too hard to be around the alcohol, don't be around the alcohol. Go for a walk or something. You are doing great. Just grit your teeth and ride out these difficult first days. It DOES get easier. Stay strong, Alli. You can DO this!!
Old 10-16-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome allihk. You came to the right place. Stick around.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words. It's a bit late here to go for a walk but it's bed time in about half an hour and then I would have survived day 2! I know I will wake up just a little more proud tomorrow night.

I much appreciate your words of encouragement and this has been a good place to come to air my thoughts and get just a little stronger each day x
Old 10-17-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Going to bed sober again. Day 3 over. Day 4 yet to conquer. Feeling strong though
Old 10-17-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allihk View Post
Going to bed sober again. Day 3 over. Day 4 yet to conquer. Feeling strong though
Nice work. Stay calm, let the urges pass over you - there is always the other side of the urge to drink and it's a place of peace, calm and strength. Allow yourself to get there.

Congrats on Day 3.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well done, all!!!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:58 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Well it's Friday night and normally drinking night at the end of the week. Flying home to my parents and I usually have a celebratory drink at the airport. Going to buy a book instead as a treat! Fingers crosses!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I found "trying" never worked for me.

Stopping drinking works better.

Just do it , grind through the early days weeks , good things await.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You are so right Dark days. Started this thread a while ago when things weren't so great. Think I need to start a new one! All is good tho. Enjoying a book and a cuppa waiting for a very delayed flight!