Notices

Binge drinking.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Binge drinking.

I'm 25, lately , for about the last 4 days, I've been drinking about a liter of vodkah a day. Before I was cut down to about a 4 pack of milwaukees best, then I would bump up to steal reservers, first a four pack, then two four packs.

I feel like ****, you can see it to. It's terrible. I'm so tired of this.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR I can imagine how you're feeling as I've done exactly the same thing in the past. Are you wanting to stop completely?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyeSea View Post
Hi and welcome to SR I can imagine how you're feeling as I've done exactly the same thing in the past. Are you wanting to stop completely?
Yeah. I have to. Maybe in the future If I have fixed my life, learned to be happy again, I could have like a beer or two, I know people who have done that.

But otherwise I will have to be sober a very long time before I could consider that.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I need to pop offline for a while, but stay there and i'm sure someone will be along soon Are you still drinking? If so, at least try and get some water down you as well x
Old 10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My drinking progressed, too. That's a lot you're drinking. I drank a lot for a very long time also.
Just remember, if you don't have that first drink you won't get drunk.
Many people here find support groups helpful. Have you considered that? It can be hard to quit on your own.

Welcome and glad you're here. Feel free to post as often as you like.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

AA is good to have some fellowship, but I find it to contain a lot of self-defeating talk.

I know people who have done it with out AA.

I've quit xanax, or oxycotin, by myself, with my will power.

The alcohol, i've gotten a couple weeks here and there, but I slip up.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How about giving the October thread a try? It's all people newly starting out with giving up things - you could support each other
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zdzy View Post
AA is good to have some fellowship, but I find it to contain a lot of self-defeating talk.

I know people who have done it with out AA.

I've quit xanax, or oxycotin, by myself, with my will power.

The alcohol, i've gotten a couple weeks here and there, but I slip up.
zdzy

My best to you.

I understand your concern.

Seek out those people who have done it without AA and have them help you and show you how to recover. Do what they do and problem solved.

Yeah, AA won't work for you with the idea of using will-power.

One AA core beliefs is that will-power is of no use when quitting drinking. We have it in other areas of our lives, but none for recovery from alcoholism.

Many other options.

Focus on what you think will work for you compared to what won't.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome zdzy
You'll find a lot of support here.

I think the journey to recovery starts with a decision not to drink today - and then the next day and the next....

if you find you can't maintain that on your own then maybe look at other support options.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
zdzy

My best to you.

I understand your concern.

Seek out those people who have done it without AA and have them help you and show you how to recover. Do what they do and problem solved.

Yeah, AA won't work for you with the idea of using will-power.

One AA core beliefs is that will-power is of no use when quitting drinking. We have it in other areas of our lives, but none for recovery from alcoholism.

Many other options.

Focus on what you think will work for you compared to what won't.

Thanks, I've nothing against AA, but its not for me. I think its quite ridiculous to watch people who have been sober 5, 10, 20 years, sitting there and rehashing terrible things over and over, and still calling themselves alcoholics.

People who quite smoking cigarettes don't call themselves cigarette smokers, or nicotine-ahalics.

Trust me on this, when I fix my life, and quit drinking, I will not call myself an alcoholic.

I'm not a xanax addict, or an oxycotin addict. I quit.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;4213108]Welcome zdzy
You'll find a lot of support here.

I think the journey to recovery starts with a decision not to drink today - and then the next day and the next....

if you find you can't maintain that on your own then maybe look at other support options.

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA: it wont let me re-post your link, i only have four posts.

Thank you, yes I definitely can't do it alone. This link is a valuable resource. I've read about the SMART program, and I think that would be great, I believe it could help me tremendously. Unfortunately, I don't have a car, there is not one of those near where I live.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SkyeSea View Post
How about giving the October thread a try? It's all people newly starting out with giving up things - you could support each other
Thanks I'll check it out.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm pretty sure SMART has online meetings - you can google it

Sounds like Rational Recovery may appeal to you too zdzy - there are no meetings at all in that programme.

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

D