Notices

Questions about my non-drinking from colleagues?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think you'll be very suprised at how few people even ask. It's mostly our alcoholic minds that are consumed with thoughts of alcohol and we falsely assume others are going to care if we are drinking or not. I can probably count on one hand the times someone has even bothered to ask me why i wasn't drinking since I quit, and those were mostly all people who knew I was drinking before. I've never once had a stranger or new acquaintence question specifically why I wasn't drinking alcohol.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
jkb

My work is the same way. We have mandatory "parties". It is seen as disrespectful not to show up. I quit drinking while working here so, they all know I used to drink. Now I just make sure I have a drink in hand and no one asks what it is.

Other people aren't that concerned with what I do/don't drink.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Update: it was almost a complete non-issue. Someone congratulated me on not drinking (which seemed odd) after asking me whether or not I drank and I replied "No, I don't drink". Then it was briefly mentioned that another colleague of mine also doesn't drink (but for religious reasons).

So, that's out of the way and my new coworkers know that I don't drink. Done and done.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The reason for having to show up is more accurately stated in that I feel compelled to show up...

The "happy hours" are held about 100 feet from my desk, everyone to include supervisors attend, and it would be seen as antisocial if I were to not attend. My work requires extensive collaboration and group synergy. Maintaining strong personal relationships and positive working relationships is critical for project success.

All that said, it's no longer a concern since nobody seemed to care whether I drank Diet Coke instead of Sam Adams. The fabricated pseudo-crisis has been averted.