Notices

Am I an alcoholic or just a problem drinker?

Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

anyone who has problems controlling their consumption of drink, and uses it to relax, relieve stress, as a confidence booster etc is on dangerous ground, whether you are teetering on the edge of alcoholism or a full blown alcoholic, doesn't matter, if its a problem for you in your life. Its an issue that needs dealing with x
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

There are somethings in my life back in my drinking days, that I could be sober for months at a time, because I knew it would give me cash or social standing and the oasis of drinking the way I wanted to drink would be back shortly.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I didn't fit the stereotypes either, comparing our issues with other peoples' issues is pointless really. You're drinking "more" than I ever did.. and I am absolutely an alcoholic.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I know without a doubt that without working offshore I would drink those nights too. In fact, while unemployed during the layoff, I did. I couldn’t quit even when, financially speaking, it was completely unwise and reckless for me to keep drinking. I’m working again and am glad for things to be back to normal. At work I used to joke how being out there at sea was my rehab, and going home from work was my relapse. As much as my coworkers laughed - as much as I laughed with them - deep down there was a hidden truth to it, though I would never admit it to any of them.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaneK View Post
I know without a doubt that without working offshore I would drink those nights too. In fact, while unemployed during the layoff, I did. I couldn’t quit even when, financially speaking, it was completely unwise and reckless for me to keep drinking. I’m working again and am glad for things to be back to normal. At work I used to joke how being out there at sea was my rehab, and going home from work was my relapse. As much as my coworkers laughed - as much as I laughed with them - deep down there was a hidden truth to it, though I would never admit it to any of them.
No matter if you are alcoholic or a problem drinker, alcohol seems to be taking up a lot of your time. Each person defines alcoholism or being alcoholic differently. When I think of a problem drinker, I tend to think of someone who has some pressing issue that is taking place and they resort to drinking to relieve some of the pressure from said problem. The lines can get blurred very easily. For me, I drank when there was a problem and drank when there was not. Life turned into one big drinking festival. Anyways, If I can be so bold to say that alcohol is creating some problems for you. If anything the problems are more mental than not. You are spending a great deal of time trying to figure out if you are alcoholic or a problem drinker, and that is what I mean by the mental part. So, give yourself a reprieve from drinking and see where that takes you.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Glad you found us Dane
Old 10-02-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

First off, I really want to thank everyone for responding. You all have given me a lot to think about, and I’m eternally grateful!!! Thank you all so much!!! I really do mean that. I’ve been wrestling with this for quite some time now. Actually, I’ve known for years that my drinking habits weren’t normal. And yes, it’s true that I do have some Step 1 work to do.
“Do you think you would drink every single night if you didn’t have a job offshore where it wasn’t allowed?”
Yes, absolutely without a doubt I would!
“If you watched a video of somebody pounding 4 beers an hour would you think they’re an alcoholic?”
Yes I would. I never thought of it like that, but yeah I would.
I know I didn’t mention “Quitting” in my original post because I still need to admit to myself that I’m addicted. I know there is, but admitting it is another issue. The truth is I really want to quit - the addict in me wants to keep drinking. As I said, I’ve known deep down for a long time that I’ve got a problem with alcohol. I’ve been to AA and admitted to myself and the group that I was an alcoholic – yes, even admitted it to me. But doubt and addiction, I guess, has allowed me to live in denial. That’s why I posted my original post for the world to see, so I could get the honest feedback that I need but won’t give myself. It’s easy to overlook your flaws even when they’re so obvious to everybody else – I’m living proof!
“Are you thinking of going white knuckle for one last time?”
Yes I am. I’m actually offshore right now and have been for 5 weeks, and therefore sober for 5 weeks thus far, have been battling with the debate between drinking when I get home and staying sober. So yes, even now I am pushing the “me” who wants to recover to fight to do so against the “addict me.” If I weren’t, I wouldn’t have posted my posts here.
“Can you live for 3 months without wanting/needing a drink?”
I wish! I’ve tried to limit my drinking to the weekends, but couldn’t do it!!! I lasted a day, maybe two at most, on sheer willpower. When I was attending AA meetings I managed to go 10 days.
“Am I an alcoholic or just a problem drinker?”
So here I am, with the truth staring me in the face. There’s no more denying it. I’m an alcoholic. I’m someone who has a problem with alcohol. I admit it. As I write this I’m looking past all the denial, doubts, and addictive reasoning to see the truth. I want so much to be a normal drinker again, though I know that’ll never happen. I’m not going to wake up tomorrow and not be an alcoholic. I’ll be an alcoholic for life. I wish I could drink like most people do; to enjoy it without it hurting. But at some point in my drinking career I allowed myself to be snared by alcoholic addiction, and though I’d love to be able to enjoy it like non-alcoholics, the only way I can keep drinking from causing more damage in my life is to abstain. I’m really thankful for all the support you have all shown me. No way can I do this on my own.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Nice : )

I will have 4 months of sobriety under my belt tomorrow. Even at 4 months in, my brain can still play with me about whether or not I am an alcoholic. Regardless, I don't need to be an alcoholic to be sober. Do you understand what I mean? I decided to make a go of it without alcohol 4 months ago. That's really the only thing I need to concern myself with..the commitment I made to live in sobriety over drunkenness.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
w2r

As you can see, the people here are amazing!
I'm only day nine, so cant add very much, but I think it was brilliant of you to make that first post!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm not a stereotypical alcoholic either.

If we are questioning it, then we probably are alcoholics. This doubt, these questions, the never ending circle of infernal, that's essentially what alcoholism is. Its a mental condition that means we end up drinking, when we don't want to drink.

It's not drink that makes us alcoholics, it's being an alcoholic that makes us drink.

Normal people who drink normally, I don't think it even crosses their mind for a second that they might have a problem. Whereas alcoholics and problem drinker know inside that they are unhappy with their drinking habits. It's this unhappiness that fuels the fire of our addiction, it's a never ending circle.

Alcoholics and problem drinkers are kind of the same thing really?

Essentially this doubt we have with our attitudes to alcohol is a personality trait of an alcoholic, or so I am lead to believe, not that I'm any expert and I certainly don't know what I'm talking about, this is just what I've learnt over the past 3 months.

I try not to label myself as 'an alcoholic' - I'm trying to call myself anything other than just as someone that simply does not drink. I'd call myself 'micky mouse' if means I don't drink.

If you want to quit. This is a good place to be. To talk to people that are also quitting.

At least you are aware now that you need to make a change, and the beginning of your change started with your email. Good luck on your journey!

I'd look into speaking with a councillor. That's what I'm in the process of doing.

sicknote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I accept that I am an alcoholic. I accept it. I am an alcoholic. So I decide to quit – what then? How? OK, so I go to AA meetings, get a sponsor, and work the program. Let’s say I start attending substance abuse therapy. What do I do during the times when I would be drinking? What do I do instead? 10 o’clock at night – what am I supposed to do instead of drinking? Drinking at that hour is all I’ve done for so long that now I don’t know how to make it through the night without getting drunk. I have to replace that poisonous ritual for another, more positive nightly activity. Do I get back in to ham radio during the hours when I’d be drinking? Do I take up reading? Do I take up writing? How do I keep myself sober? All of these things would be great, except for one problem – during the time I would be drinking, nothing interests me when I stay sober.

I live alone and therefore have no one to keep me on the leash. I’m not on probation or facing any legal charges, so as far as the law is concerned I can drink all I want. My drinking isn’t affecting any personal relationships, so nobody in my life is keeping me in line. In fact, as far as AA or a substance abuse counselor is concerned, I’m able to drink all I want and lie about how sober I’ve been!!! I have nobody to answer to when it comes to my drinking. I guess you could say I have to answer to myself, and that is the very problem – if I succumb to the addiction and relapse, I will allow myself to believe anything that’ll get me that next drink!!! I’ll give up on recovery; I’ll make up an excuse for the relapse; I’ll tell myself I’m not ready to quit drinking; I will tell myself that I’m bound to mess up in early recovery; I’ll get myself to believe that some magical fairy will come down and make everything all better – I’ll convince myself of anything to keep feeding the addiction! I can’t be trusted to monitor my sobriety!!!

I really do want to stay sober. I want to better my life, and all drinking is doing is holding me back. I’m tired of the hangovers. I’m tired of the lack of energy I feel after each night of heavy drinking. I’m tired of losing my temper and destroying things in a fit of drunken rage! I’m tired of being financially drained by an addiction. I’m tired of risking a second DWI for late night drunken joy rides. I’m tired of falling down and getting bruised and scraped because my head is too clouded with booze to function properly.

I have to quit - but I’m scared. I’m scared that I’ll fail; I’m afraid that I’ll miss drinking; I’m afraid that I’ll find that I’m not ready for recovery after all. I’m worried that the only way that I’ll quit drinking is to die; that I will keep drinking until it kills me! Nevertheless I have to try. I have to keep trying until I succeed. I have to let go and let God. I have to attend AA, or get an alcoholism therapist, or maybe a treatment facility – whatever it takes! The only personal story about me that gives me any courage at all is how I managed to quit smoking. The rest of my history points to failure.

I quit smoking just over two months ago. After 17 years of smoking I finally decided that I had enough. I hadn’t planned on quitting; I still had plenty of cigarettes left over – I had just had enough cigarette smoke! I quit cold turkey – no nicotine gum, no patch, and no pill – just abstinence. I’ve tried dozens of times to quit smoking and could never come close to the success I’ve had recently. In my attempts I’d set a date to quit; I’d quit after smoking the last cigarette of the carton; I’d make deals with loved ones to quit – I couldn’t last a day!!! The two times where I lasted months without smoking were when I was in a spiritual recovery program and wasn’t allowed cigarettes, and when I was in jail and couldn’t get any. Now both times I told myself that since I’d gotten past the nicotine withdrawals and could live without cigarettes that I might as well stay quit. I didn’t. Both times, when I left the recovery program and later when I was released from jail, immediately I bummed a cigarette here or there from somebody and like a spark meeting fuel, the fire of nicotine addiction was relit in a blaze. But this time – nobody stopped me! I didn’t plan it. I had no deadline and plenty of cigarettes left to smoke. No promises were made, no guilty consciences, no deals – I just woke up one morning and I’d had enough. By then I’d developed a terrible cough lasting for weeks that wouldn’t go away (I no longer have that cough since quitting, by the way) and I was tired of my lungs hurting and feeling out of breath. Like that I just decided to quit. I believe the reason I’ve successfully quit smoking is that, besides doing it of my own free will as opposed to being forced to abstain, this time I didn’t try – I just did!!! I had many cravings and temptations, and even today still get the occasional craving, but to this day I have not had one puff of smoke. I threw away every cigarette I had left, regardless of how much of my hard earned money was invested in them, and never looked back. I attribute this great success not to TRYING – but by DOING!!! I know this is clichéd, but if I can quit smoking then anyone can quit.

The reason I mentioned my kicking the cigarette habit is that I believe this is how I have to treat my alcoholic habit. I can’t just “try” to quit drinking – there is no try – there’s only DO!!! I am convinced that is the only way I can be free from the drink that has had its hold on me for so many years!!! Without a doubt it will be difficult. I’m sure I’m headed for cravings and temptations. There will be plenty of awkward moments and stressful events where the booze will be calling my name, beckoning me to open the bottle. I’m scared! I’m worried about those fears and concerns I mentioned earlier! I’m also encouraged!!! Recovery is not an easy battle... but the war is far from over!

My last drink was on August 27, 2013, so technically my sobriety date is August 28 – but just one problem! I didn’t quit drinking on the 28th – I flew offshore that day and just hadn’t had the opportunity since to get “wet.” But today I have decided to quit drinking, and though I have been technically sober for five weeks now, today is the day my true sobriety begins. October 2, 2013!!!

Sobriety date October 2, 2013
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's easy to over think this DaneK.

I drank all day every day for a period of several years - there were very few things I did without a drink.

It was hard quitting - you better believe I had many tough situations and uncomfortable days - but I leaned on the support I had here, and I got through.

Every new thing I learned how to do sober helped too, and gradually things got easier for me.

I'm sure they will for you too.

Try not to forecast every event for the rest of your life and what it might be like sober...

look around...read others stories - we adjust and we make it

D
Old 10-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaneK View Post
I accept that I am an alcoholic. I accept it. I am an alcoholic. So I decide to quit – what then? How? OK, so I go to AA meetings, get a sponsor, and work the program. Let’s say I start attending substance abuse therapy. What do I do during the times when I would be drinking? What do I do instead? 10 o’clock at night – what am I supposed to do instead of drinking? Drinking at that hour is all I’ve done for so long that now I don’t know how to make it through the night without getting drunk. I have to replace that poisonous ritual for another, more positive nightly activity. Do I get back in to ham radio during the hours when I’d be drinking? Do I take up reading? Do I take up writing? How do I keep myself sober? All of these things would be great, except for one problem – during the time I would be drinking, nothing interests me when I stay sober.

I live alone and therefore have no one to keep me on the leash. I’m not on probation or facing any legal charges, so as far as the law is concerned I can drink all I want. My drinking isn’t affecting any personal relationships, so nobody in my life is keeping me in line. In fact, as far as AA or a substance abuse counselor is concerned, I’m able to drink all I want and lie about how sober I’ve been!!! I have nobody to answer to when it comes to my drinking. I guess you could say I have to answer to myself, and that is the very problem – if I succumb to the addiction and relapse, I will allow myself to believe anything that’ll get me that next drink!!! I’ll give up on recovery; I’ll make up an excuse for the relapse; I’ll tell myself I’m not ready to quit drinking; I will tell myself that I’m bound to mess up in early recovery; I’ll get myself to believe that some magical fairy will come down and make everything all better – I’ll convince myself of anything to keep feeding the addiction! I can’t be trusted to monitor my sobriety!!!
Hi Dane. I quoted these parts because this basically describes me too. The big difference between us is I don't work in some offshore location so I can carry on drinking pretty much every night. And technically, I never drank 4 beers an hour but I drank a few hours longer than you and drank a total of about the same amount.

There are no easy answers to how do you fill up that time at 10pm when you are all alone in the house with nobody to monitor your drinking except you. I am sometimes jealous of those on here that have a spouse giving them an ultimatum to stop drinking, because people like you and me have none of that. We need to want it bad enough to quit on our own, and to stay stopped without supervision. I'll admit, the hours between 7-10pm do seem to crawl lately. But when I hit the pillow sober, I couldn't be happier. I think the trade off is worth it so far. Give it 30 days (at home) and evaluate it after that. I think you will find you like it too
Old 10-02-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

DaneK, when you are offshore you now have more sobriety under your belt than I do today. I have a bit over a few weeks. So, you have a good start, right? No physical withdrawal to endure. What are you doing in the evenings offshore? Or do you work a late shift? And a resounding YES to all of your ideas. Read, watch TV, read and post here, see a movie, pick up a hobby, go to meetings of you think that is a good way for you to quit. And they will fill the time. Just keep busy. That is how I do it right now. I an on here much of the time I might othersie have been sipping a few glasses of wine.

You sound like you are tired of it. That is a good thing.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I want so much to be a normal drinker again,

Me too. That thinking has gotten me in trouble. I once quit for 5 1/2 years then thought I could have a beer with my steak dinner when we were on vacation with friends. Everybody else had a drink, I thought after such a long time I must be cured.

Yes I could have that beer. But a week later I'm pounding down beers while I chase shots of vodka alone in my basement. Quite the social drinker!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You have to have a plan for sobriety/recovery. If not you just "quit drinking" you do not recover. While cigarettes are hard - they are not the same as alcohol.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

There are different degrees of alcoholism. If you want to stop then you have come to he right place. At least 6 AA meetings will help you to work it out too. All different ones, listen listen listen to stories.
Living sober is better than alcoholism. Peace and happiness awaits you. X
Old 10-03-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I'm so glad I read your post. I'm scared too Personally I haven't found any answers yet, no sudden eureka moment, but it does get easier with time. I've noticed small improvements during periods of sobriety, where my head is becoming clearer, and the more time I spend looking at solutions, and putting energy into staying sober, the less likely I am to get drunk.

Being proactive in staying sober helps. I've come on this site with questions and I've got feedback which helped. I've been trying all sorts of things to stay sober! literally, loads of things. Everyone is different. Everyone has their own path to recovery and their own methods to stay sober, that's why I'm on this site, to see how other people are doing it. I guess its up to us to find something that works for us at the end of the day, and this site has loads of people here that know how we feel.

Reading your post made me sad. It reminded me of where I was when I first started trying to quit. How lost I felt. I know your fear.

I'm going long periods of time without booze also, not out of choice either, but because I've got an injury at the moment and physically can't get to booze, I'm scared that when I can, I'll get trashed. Its a horrible feeling isn't it?!! I'm scared I'm going to let myself down again. I'm scared that I'm weak and just can't hold on. But I'm also scared of what might happen if I don't have that drink! isn't that nuts?!

We're not ment to discuss recovery methods in the newcomers area, but it's kinda common knowledge that we should avoid the first drink. Its the first one that does that damage. That first taste is the one that makes us want more and starts the circle. Change routine if you can. If you usually sit in front of the TV and crack open a beer, go and sit somewhere else and read messages in this forum.

We are not alone. We are on a journey. No one but ourselves can free our mind. The only person that matters is the one in the mirror, because that's the person that's going to shout at us when we're unhappy.

I want a drink, but I really do NOT want a drink.

I hope it gets easier for us! Good luck DaneK!

sicknote.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think 18 beers are 6 liters of beer. Would anyone drink 6 liters of water in a few hours? Not all alcoholics drink in the morning or have shakes. How many liters of beer do you think you have to drink for being alcoholic? Ten? Twenty?

PD. I didnt drink in the mornings nor had shakes. I drank after work. I am alcoholic.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Your drinking pattern sounds a bit like mine. I wouldn't drink till late night. When I started, I would just slam glass after glass of wine. I didn't drink in the morning till much later in my alcoholism. Even then, it was limited to when I thought I could get away with it. I think you have a major problem with drinking for sure. Your behavior certainly isn't normal. Often with alcoholism, it isn't about I do this, this and this, but not this. Eventually if you keep going you will probably progress into everything. It isn't like I didn't say, 'well I don't drink in the morning...." Sure enough, a year or two later I was doing that too.