Notices

day 3 and unmotivated

Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3 and unmotivated

morning! (or afternoon or evening depending on where you are in the world)

i am starting my day 3 and feeling ok physically. i know everyone in recovery is different and i have discovered that insomnia is definitely NOT my problem, hehe. in fact, i can't seem to sleep enough! i am trying to just listen to my body and give myself this time, but it is a challenge because i am usually a motivated, active person.

i am at work but being very anti-social. i can't wait for this day to be over so i can go home and "hide out" some more. it seems like this decision i have made has made me a stranger in my own life, even though no one even knows yet! the only thing i want is to be alone, but at the same time that makes me feel lazy, unproductive, and guilty

thanks for being here x.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there, working! I'm just starting day 7; insomnia WAS a problem the first couple of days, but now I'm like you -- want MORE sleep. But I've found that the busier I keep, with good things (hobbies, etc.), the easier it is to keep my "eye on the prize"!

You can do it!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think quitting is different for everyone... and different "quits" are different at different times for the same person. There are no "rules," I think, other than to do what you can to maintain and defend your sobriety!

I quit for three months in 2012. I felt great. I exercised, had a huge amount of energy, lost weight, slept like a baby. A month in right now, I exercise a little (but not at last year's pace), have a little more energy than when I was drinking (but not to the level of being a human dynamo), and sleep...well, I sleep, but not like a baby. Like a 43-year old, which I am. Mentally, though, and in large part due to the SR community, I feel like I understand a lot more about this addiction, and I feel a lot less alone.

When I approached sobriety this time (Visual image of me standing there extending a hand saying "Hello, sobriety. I think we met once before, didn't we? I know we had a fight, and I was bad to you, but I'd like to see if we can get along again."), I had this vision of doing everything I did last time, feeling a certain way. But what I have found is that I have done things a little differently, and that has been okay too.

Alcohol dependence/abuse/alcoholism puts you through a lot. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. It's okay to be anti-social when you need to be, and hide out a little, if that helps you recover. Rome wasn't built in a day, and we don't recover immediately!

Congratulations on your 3 days. Have a great one, and hide out when you need to!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't mean to tell how you should feel (well, OK, maybe I do). But if you have stayed sober for 3 days, and if you are an alcoholic like the rest of us, you should NOT feel "lazy, unproductive and guilty." You should feel proud, determined and optimistic. The most important thing for all of us here is to stay sober. And you are doing that. The motivation, sociability and productivity improvement will come about eventually. In the meantime, Congratulations on Day 3. Don't beat yourself up. Pat yourself on the back. and treat yourself to something nice. You have earned it.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 5 seems to be the magic one, where everything starts falling into place. Hang in there a little while longer
Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just waiting and being okay with that is a very productive thing to be doing at 3 days. Relax this is a marathon. And... Keep goin'!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was usually barely able to function by day 3 - give it time

D
Old 10-01-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds a lot like my Day 3. I was sleeping 8+ hours a night, very solidly, and still wanting a nap. When I got a nap, I felt like I would've slept for a couple of hours if I didn't set my alarm. I have started taking my vitamins in the morning and I think it is helping.

I also wanted to be alone. I felt like being around people was just too much effort. I felt like I might snap. It was a sort of parallel existence.

Hang in there. I found that once I got through a week I felt like I had experienced all the basic experiences my life serves up regularly (ie, ok, I did a Friday night, I did a dinner out, etc.).

Good luck. You CAN do it!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RLH

I posted a very similar thread a few days ago and received some good advice... Your only job right now is to not drink. That's it. If you can accomplish that one thing, you're winning the battle. These forums are a lifesaver. Take 15 minutes to read them when you're feeling down, and you'll almost always find the inspiration you need to keep going. I know I do.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

depression = give it time
Old 10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days! I was quite surly for a little over a week, among other unpleasantness, and hadn't talked about what I was trying to do with anyone except 2 or 3 people - one of whom turned out to be genuinely supportive. And that was enough, so it made it easier to not engage too much with anyone else for a while.

Like RLH said, even a few minutes checking in here helped quite a bit too. I'm pretty glad I found the forums, even though I'm a serial lurker. Day by day I guess.

Day 16 here, sleeping a lot better, and really glad I didn't fold early on. Hang in there, Working!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What is a few day, weeks, or months of fatigue and healing compared to a lifetime of productivity and health? Your body and mind need this time to heal, that takes a lot of energy and effort. You can do it!