Notices

Blood Pressure

Old 10-01-2013, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Blood Pressure

Yesterday, a nurse at my outpatient treatment facility took my blood pressure. I am considerably overweight, have abused alcohol for years, and am a smoker.

After only 7 days of abstinence from alcohol AND tobacco, my blood pressure reading was 120/78!!!!!!!!

I was absolutely ecstatic and am so encouraged to continue abstaining and learning how to work a program.

To those of us struggling in early recovery, please know that things can change for the better more quickly than you realize. Hang in there.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yay Dagny
Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hay good for you. keep up the changes.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful news!!!!!! That is just the tip of the iceberg of the other health benefits you are going to have now !
Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Excellent news. Are you on meds for your bp? I was 110/70 after 14 days abstaining, it was still at borderline dangerous levels when I was drinking despite the meds.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was never medicated for elevated blood pressure, although perhaps I should have been. My blood pressure had been in the 140/90 range which isn't dangerously high, but it is certainly unhealthy. As alcoholics and addicts tend to do, I continued drinking and smoking hoping it would just go away. That strategy didn't work out
Old 10-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is great news, and I (obviously) feel the need to echo what you said.

Back in 2012, before quitting for 3 months, my bp was 142/90. After quitting, 118/78.
I relapsed, started drinking heavily. That and anxiety pushed the levels up to 160/80 - waaaay worse than before. A small dose of daily medication, and no drinking for a month has helped a lot. I'll find out just how much at my next dr. visit in 2 weeks.

But without question, alcohol - which "normal" people use to relax - has quite the opposite effect from "relaxation" on me. When combined with tobacco, that has to be like a double whammy.

Great news about your 7 days. Hope everything keeps going in a positive direction for you.