Notices

WHERE are they now ?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

WHERE are they now ?

Whilst browsing through the threads of SR members from long ago 2008 etc ,
Some have just disappeared off the face of the earth,
Lovely , helpful people , telling their stories....just like us .
I can only wonder what has become of these treasures.

Have they found their way in life at last ? are they taking a haiatus or have they succumbed to the demon drink?

A lot of food for thought.

Lets hope we all , who are here at this point in time , find our right path and do not fade into oblivion .
Old 10-01-2013, 02:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've often thought that too. Sometimes I think or hope they have moved on to a new chapter in sobriety and don't need a 24/7 network. In any case alcoholism is horendous so likely that is not the case for all. But you're here and that's what matters most after all
Old 10-01-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I love it when someone comes back and tells how much better life is. I was kind of wondering when I was going to stop needing so much support and be able to come back like that. It's really nice when you find an old thread and see green lights from the posters.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wonder sometimes. As the internet becomes a fixture of daily life forums begin to become real communities. People join and leave communities all the time. I have a lot of different interests, so I participate in many forums. There have been some that I quit because I didn't like the direction they were going. Others I gradually drifted away from as my life changed.

As the 'net ages, so do the users. Some members simply die or become to ill to use the computer. Others probably just leave when their lives change drastically. At SR I suppose some leave when they don't need the support to stay sober. Others, sadly, will leave when they give up on trying to stay sober.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MOS,

You make a lot of sense. Like you I participate in many communities and have been active on the net for ..sheesh, at least 15 years now. This past week was my birthday and it was funny how many birthday wishes I was getting from message board/forum communities I long ago stopped visiting. I just drifted away from them for one reason or another.

Hopefully that's what happened to our missing members here. They've moved on, in a more healthful, happy, and sober way.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like that scenario ;-)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no doubt alcoholism and addiction take a heavy toll - one only has to look at the number of people passing through SR these days.

It's important to remember tho - I've known hundreds, thousands of people...and known many success stories.

It's those stories I cling to, even tho most of the people have moved on from internet support and back into 'real' lives

D
Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee ;-) that was lovely to read before i nod off.

You must have seen and heard so many stories over your time here , i really appreciated reading that positive viewpoint xx there must be so many good success stories.

Xx
Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

There's lots of us that have been here for awhile. I'd like to think that most simply move on to other things, but I'm sure some slip back into addiction. Such is life.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, I've been sober in AA since around the time the mouse was developed and PCs were unknown along with the internet. TY Dole. For a lot of years I chaired beginners meetings which was rewarding and also very saddening so now I only try to help individuals. For me these web sites are depressing as so many including AA members have such a low LONG term success story. It's especially painful to think of all the failures parents, siblings and family's pained future. BE WELL
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
For me these web sites are depressing as so many including AA members have such a low LONG term success story. It's especially painful to think of all the failures parents, siblings and family's pained future.
That's a very sad outlook to have.

I've been around SR for many years and I know of many, many members who are thriving and well. I refuse to dwell on those who are still struggling, but continue to send them my prayers every day.

I have ALWAYS found inspiration here, every day, because I look for it.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started my account here on good intentions. A year or two slip by being wasted but always in the back of my mind is that I wanted to quit. I'm approaching 4 months now and it is the longest amount of sober time I've had in probably 10 years if not more.

The longer I stay sober the bigger the span of visits will be I'm sure. Hopefully one day I won't be thinking about being sober and it is just how it is.