Notices

Acamprosate (Campral) ?

Old 09-30-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acamprosate (Campral) ?

Hi. I am new, i found this group while trying to research a drug and figured i would join. It can only help right ?
I went to see my GP today and he has given me Acamprosate (Campral) ? Im scared to take it as im wairing belive it or not of what i put into my body and im scared its going to make me feel odd and strange, im also scared of side effects ? I am meant to take 2 tablets 3 times a day. I would like a bit of advice on this please if anyone out there has taken this drug ?
I am not alcohol dependant so im not sure why i have it, i do however use alcohol as a crutch and once i start drinking i cant stop ( saturday i drank 1/2 bot vodka, most bottle of whisky and 2 beers ). I have been so very low i asked my GP for something to help me, and this is what he gave me ?

Thank you very much.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so sorry i just read in the board description that i shouldnt ask medical questions and i just broke the rules on my first day, uggg. If this post needs to be deleted thats fine, again i do apologise. Is there anywhere i could ask these questions ?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you find that you can't stop drinking once you start, you are admitting the first step of powerlessness. Keep talking with us and try aa if you like. I go to aa and I love it.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ah yes the Dr also gave me the phone number for AA ( well the national number ) I will call them tomorrow and see what i can do / any meetings i can attend. Im willing to do anything and everything in my power to never ever drink again.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think it is more not to give medicine advice, if someone has experience with this drug - I think it is ok if they share their personal experience.

I do not have any experience with this drug and nothing to share.

Welcome to SR though
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah okay, Phew. Thank you for my welcome
Old 09-30-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have experience with the drug. I was prescribed it a year or so ago when I tried to quit. My own personal experience (this is not mendical advice!) is that it had no effect on cravings at all. It did however give me pretty chronic diarrhoea, which is one of the listed most common side effects. I didn't really notice any changes to my consciousness and I didn't manage to quit drinking on that occasion.

Five weeks without drinking and without Campral at the moment.

And welcome! I hope you find the forum helpful!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So you didnt feel out of it or anything ? Okay i will give it a go and see how it pans out.
I had a pretty awful weekend that involved obtaining myself a criminal record, and im also head to toe black and blue because of how harshly i was handled by the law i will post more about this in a different thread though.

Well done on being 5 weeks drink free, you must be so proud of what you have acheived ! You are doing amazing. Keep up the awesome work
Old 09-30-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was taking this - it doesn't make you feel weird or anything like that so don't worry. Well done for asking for help
Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My wife took this for a while. It seemed to work until she stopped taking it.

We needed a real change before sobriety stuck; going to AA meetings was the start. I would suggest talking to someone at AA today instead of tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's okay for folks to share their personal experiences petal - just no advice.
Remember too that whats been the experience for others may not be your experience.

The best person to go to with concerns is always your Dr - if you're not sure you trust their judgement then maybe you need a new one?

D
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)