Notices

Drinking to be more social

Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking to be more social

Hello guys; today marks 14 days with no alcohol and I feel great. Had some cravings in the weekend but managed to get thru. Ive been to bars and party these past two weeks just drinking water and peeing every 10 minutes from so much H2O. The party scene does not look much enjoyable as it was before when I was drinking. I used to drink to get out of my comfort zone and be more social.

At a party this weekend I noticed that I only talked to a few individuals. I was real anti social and felt somewhat awkward as everybody was getting high and drunk. This was my fear of sobriety, not being comfortable to talk to others as I did when I had a drink. Slowly im gaining confidence as im keeping up with my goals and im working 6 times a week waking up at 4 AM.

My question is, did you guys go through being anti social? Did things change once you got sober? What can I do to be more social while im sober?

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Did you listen to some of the bollocks some of your high and drunk party friends were talking?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mentium View Post
Did you listen to some of the bollocks some of your high and drunk party friends were talking?
c011:
Old 09-30-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey ghost, I had that sat night, watching everyone get drunk, I was getting annoyed lol, to be honest we all deal with it differently... I try and talk with the least drunk person, or even just sit quietly texting someone , sat I was on here & texting a friend, I wouldn't worry you feel anti social, id be more worried if you wanted to get back involved... x
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love being sober when the sheep around me are sweating, faces contorted and talking bollox. Feel super cool that I am not part of the mass poisening.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes the drunk guys talking did get annoying after a while lol.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi GF....congrats!!! I am starting to realize that my life is probably going to be different sober. In other words, I don't want to go out and talk to somebody who is a carbon copy of what I used to be like. A few drinks in me and I could pontificate on the sanctity of a shoelace for hours.......argh!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't like being round people drinking heavily now I'm sober. A meal in a restaurant is fine or my husband having a couple of glasses of wine doesn't bother me. But I wouldn't want to be in a club/bar etc where the aim of the evening is to get drunk and 'enjoy' themselves. It doesn't trigger me (though easily would have done in my first month sober). There are just so many more interesting things I'd rather be doing and I didn't get sober to spend my social time in bars.

I am less social now,especially if with drunk people-what 's the point when you're sober and they're mainly talking nonsense. Over time I've started to do non drinking activities with non drinking peopleand I'm quite sociable with them.I had no idea there were so many around
Old 09-30-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

GF - I am not triggered anymore by those setting but recently I went to club with what I thought was a pretty cool scene. I had to leave, as there was too much temptation. I am just different now but I think in a good way. I did buy a nice guitar and am learning to play acoustic so the next party maybe I will entertain around the fire pit vs getting drunk and trying not to fall in.

We are different - if you are allergic to peanuts you don't hang out at a peanut factory. Its all about priorities I guess and short answer is you are normal and I went through the same things as you.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I don't like being round people drinking heavily now I'm sober. A meal in a restaurant is fine or my husband having a couple of glasses of wine doesn't bother me. But I wouldn't want to be in a club/bar etc where the aim of the evening is to get drunk and 'enjoy' themselves. It doesn't trigger me (though easily would have done in my first month sober). There are just so many more interesting things I'd rather be doing and I didn't get sober to spend my social time in bars.
Amen! Same here.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All my friends drink heavily so its kind of hard to just drop them even though it comes to mind. I need to find other activities. I workout in the morning go straight to work. I guess its time to step out my comfort zone and looking into new activities.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You never know - some of your friends might decide to follow your example
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hung out with drinking people yesterday and I noticed I was a bit bored and restless but I drank soft drink and ate really yummy cheese. I think if you get into conversation that interests you, you will almost take the focus off the alcohol. If it is too boring and you are tempted, leave and go and reward yourself with something fun or yummy on the way home. Our inner kids need fun and nurturing, not alcohol. Pray and call your sponsor and also go somewhere quiet and get on SR on your phone. just all suggestions. I will remember this myself!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sky; I noticed that out of no were a few two told me that they are not going to get high anymore after they seen my 2 weeks progress. They still drinking just not smoking, so I guess I was some sort of inspiration
Old 09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That's brilliant
Old 09-30-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
All my friends drink heavily so its kind of hard to just drop them even though it comes to mind.
My best friend is an alcoholic and when he is drinking, I stay away from him. I just will not hang out with a drunken idiot, I have better things to do with my life. He is a binge drinker though so it makes it easier, if he was smashed 24/7 I would have to go no contact with him.
Edited to add, I never drank with him either. I could not stand being around people when I was drinking so becoming sober really did not affect my social life. It actually made it better since I stopped isolating. I blew off many invitations from friends so I could stay home alone with my alcohol
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 14 days!! I think as far as socializing, you're just going to need to give it time and sort of feel out what works for you. It would probably be good if you could find some social outlets that don't involve drinking or partying...go to Meetup.com and there are millions of groups of get-togethers and groups that meet for various reasons. It's a great place to make new friends. (Not to say you should abandon your old friends, btw. Just saying some new ones might be good for you at this point.)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ya alcohol centered activities have lost their appeal for me. Since I live on the westcoast, I find I relate more now with the "coffee shop culture" than the bar/club culture. Okay..I'm also old : )
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

First off, congrats on your 2 weeks GF, those are the hardest ones.

I was massively engaged in the "drinking culture" when I drank. I literally belonged to a drinking club at a local brewpub that had mugs with your name on them, and literally, EVERYBODY knew my name! After I got sober for a few weeks I went back and everyone of course wondered what the heck happened, and I did hang out there for a while again, drinking NA beer or soda or whatever. But i have to say the longer I get sober, the more I realize that there is so much more to life than drinking. We as alcoholic just assume ( falsely ) that you need to drink to have fun. The reality is that most people go about their days and their activities without drinking a drop, and that most activities go on without alcohol at all. Keep an open mind and try new things, you'll be amazed at how much more there is to do when you aren't drinking.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not anti social but I'm a lot less social than I was a a drinker.
I'd rather be the quiet introverted guy than the loudmouth making an idiot of himself tho

From my experience, if you're running with the same crowd, living the same life, it's really gonna be hard to quit and stay quit GF.

D