Notices

Sobriety = Decreased Libido?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your post. I can completely relate to the "tired" and "no energy" feelings. I've actually been quite surprised at just how tired I've been since I stopped. I exercise 5x a week (weights and cardio) but I feel stuck in this fog.

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I think part of the issue is not just the lowering of inhibitions with alcohol, but also the low lever craving without. Lots of folks complain about being "tired" or "having no energy" in early recovery and this is because they don't have the nervous energy and anxiety associated with "craving". This craving feeling sometimes makes us feel more "driven" including sexually as a way to satisfy the craving for alcohol. Having been a binge drinker I would find that after overcoming the initial illness after a binge I would become for a period of time on edge. Sex was a predominate obsession and physical urge. I attribute this to part of the secondary withdrawal. It will balance out eventually and things will be normal. You may not "crave" sex, but have a healthy sexual outlook. Exercise does wonders for everything. This will get us quicker to where we need to be and help keep us there IMHO.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

And nobody is going to run with the tongue and cheek comment on a sexual thread? Have we lost our sense of humor too?
Old 09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
And nobody is going to run with the tongue and cheek comment on a sexual thread? Have we lost our sense of humor too?
I left the door wide open, didn't I.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I found just the opposite but I'm a 23 year old guy so probably nothing is going to effect me in that regard
Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I suppose it comes down to the simple fact we are all different. I just am simply too exhausted to even contemplate exercise at the moment in any shape or form :p
Its been 3 months for me and i have no drive at all .
Im not gonna get all stressed out about it or anything ill just take it as it comes. ( no pun intended! ) .
I think our bodies will let us know know .
Dont sweat the small stuff .
( pun intended )
Have a great day guys .
Old 09-30-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Sex is way better sober... Alcohol anaesthetises everything..
Old 09-30-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

for me, my libido has been non-existent for years. I've been too busy hiding my drinking from my husband and I was always trying to keep my distance so he wouldn't smell it on my breath. Prior to all this I was a highly sexual being. I'm only on day 2 now, so only time will tell, but at present I couldn't care less if i never had sex again... however, I do hope that lack of interest changes and i go back to my former sexy self.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My libido was nonexistent when I was drinking heavily. Now I'm so focused on my recovery that it has taken a backseat but I'm confident that as time passes and I get more comfortable with my sobriety it will be back!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I'm doing the no new relationships for a year from my sobriety date, so the low libido hasn't really been an issue.

Although honestly, sometimes even I forget to even take care of myself lol.

No matter. Sobriety is #1.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

The last few days of my binge and the first few days of detox I couldn't get an erection, and trust me I tried because I was scared to death that I wouldn't be able to again. After a few days I just left it alone and finally my libido came back.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

2 years sober here and i'm getting interested in it again ..
I did quite a lot as a younger bloke always with alcohol involved . I was kinda accepting and happy to live without it in the latter part of my drinking carrer and did'nt expect it to change much with sobriety.
But i'm begining to feel engaging , calm , cool and sexy in a slightly more sophisticated way than i did back then ... so maybe the flames did'nt die completely ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
BSober1

I agree with what has been said, I think that it does have to do with the extra sugar we put in the body in the form of alcohol...I always feel guilty when I am drunk and have sex...even with my husband - like I owe him to be present and was taking a short cut... I truly enjoy sober sex much better!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Not touching this with a ten foot pole NO PUN INTENDED
Old 10-01-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
Not touching this with a ten foot pole NO PUN INTENDED
Ten foot lol really