Notices

Decided to stop AGAIN!

Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Decided to stop AGAIN!

When I found SR, I had already decided to stop drinking again--third time in the past three years. I have no problem stoping. I use Antabuse (prescription from the GP that causes sever allergic reactions to alcohol), which is not for everyone and should be used under a doctor's care. The question for me is how long do I want to stop and how long will I stop, can I stop... etc.

I've been sober for two weeks now. I'm trying to integrate SR into my recovery efforts. I'm not interested in AA meetings, but can see the benefit of being in a social group, so I thought a virtually social recovery group would be good, and I found SR.

SR has been good for me. I forgot how misery loves company! Seriously, I've been motivated and educated by many other members here.

One thing I've learned is that I need to understand better why I should stop drinking for ever. I need to be convinced, or I will relapse... a term that doesn't sound right to me (not a good signal).

In the past I have stopped for up to two months, thinking I could drink again in moderation. After another month or two, there is generally little moderation. When I am living the "high life," I can drink about 400ml of 80 proof hard alcohol a day. That's just too much, and is crying out for health problems, even when I don't wake up with a hangover.

I'm sure there is another thread somewhere in SR, but I wonder how others have felt after 2 weeks; 3, 4; 2 months? I am not looking forward to the holidays. I will be very tempted to drink again then, and it would be nice to have a good run till the end of the year.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not angry just direct

Hey WTDT,

In my view the most important thing you're saying is that you're deciding to stop again, which surely must be a good sign even if there are doubts abut other signs.

There's an English idiom used for smoking cessation campaigns where they say 'never give up giving up'.. which makes a lot of sense to me.

I can't comment on alcohol dependence as it's one thing I'm not having a problem with but I'm sure you'll get plenty of good others answering that one for you.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

As Einstein says...

I don't say this lightly or in some glib, patronising way, the fact that you've at least decided to stop again is a positive step. Great!

All I'll add, by way of what I hope you see as constructive comment, is what Albert Einstein said, If you keep doing the same thing, over and over again. You just end up with the same result.'

Obviously then,from you're post, perhaps a little bit of time to pause, reflect and then move on, redoubling your efforts at the same time. In a way that provides more positive and sober results, may come of it...

Just a thought, may the god of your understanding go with you....