Notices

Am I starting over again or is this just a bump in the road?

Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

NewRebirth - No, we don't think you're lying, but we've all been down this road and have seen where it leads. I was sober for five years. Then I started to have a glass or two on "date night". Then just special occasions and holidays. Then on a good day or a bad day either to celebrate or because "I deserve it". In the end there were bottles hidden all over the house, countless number of days lost to being sick or angry, and I was looking people straight in the eye and lying as if I were a sociopath.

Based on the title of the post, you seem unsure. Sounds like somewhere inside of you there's a little voice going - "hang on here a minute - hold the phone - are you sure you want to do this?"

Good luck. We're only jumping on your case because we care
Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

yes, we care...

you either want to quit drinking - that means all forms of alcohol - or you want to continue drinking.

Drinking a glass of wine every now and then is still drinking and if you are in fact alcoholic, it will lead to more drinking more often until it gets so bad that you have to stop or it will kill you.

I hope you see this for what it really is, an excuse to consume alcohol in any form.

Remember, I'm only saying this because I understand and I care. That is what I come to this board for and I hope if I ever say something stupid on here like Oh I think I'll just have a glass of wine with dinner tonight, that someone will jump on me and remind me that I can't drink at all because I am an alcoholic.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've struggled with this for years... Tried to be moderate but always eventually got drunk again or started thinking about alcohol too much and it starts to consume me again. I would love to enjoy alcohol moderately and be able to take it or leave it but I'm starting to believe it's not possible for me
Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, new birth, I think you've made a number of us just hold our collective breath. It is good that you are different than its, for we were convinced, to a person, that we were in control. In fact, what you have told us could have been written, word for word, by hundreds of us at SR. We are terminally unique.

Yup. And maybe, like us, you need to do a bit more research. Try some controlled drinking. Maybe even every day. Good luck to you. Hope you are more successful than we were.

Interesting that you say that 100% sobriety isn't possible and that you are fine as long as you aren't on a bender. You see, "normal" people don't go on benders. Normal people see 100% sobriety as easily possible. Normal people do not require "will power" to not drink.

It's a good thing you aren't like me. Controlled drinking made me miserable. Interesting that when I was "in control" I thought about alcohol daily. And when drinking "a couple glasses of wine" I thought about the resolve to not drink more. Normal people don't do that.

Now, however, I NEVER think about alcohol. I decided to strip it of its power over me. It relaxed me, too. Until the bottle was empty.

Best to you,

Warren