Notices

Motivation

Old 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Motivation

Hi, I'm two hours off the beginning of day 10 and I am feeling quite good. My emotions are still veering from happiness to anger and back but I am starting to feel happier in myself and the constant shame has receded. Phew!

I do seem to have a big problem with motivation. I've recently taken up jogging which I always feel motivated to do perhaps even compelled by my body - I guess it's rewarding so my brain encourages it - but work-wise I am struggling. It's generally periods of indifference and indolence interspersed with bouts of productivity. I'm not sure if this is down to my losing passion for the job or a symptom of my recovery. When consuming alcohol my work day would consist of clock watching, trying to cure the hangover and avoiding contact with people as to not get them drunk from the fumes.

I guess I'm struggling to work out whether the job is getting me down or I'm down and not enjoying the job.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, it could be either. Why not just give it a little more time and see how you feel in a few weeks? You may have a more clear perspective at that time. Good for you for getting to Day 10 and getting lots of exercise.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with Anna. Give yourself more time. Ten days is very early in recovery and your body and brain are still adjusting to functioning without alcohol.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5, so I can't speak with the perspective of those who have more experience, but I can say that I need multiple motivators. Today was church, watching college volleyball with the family, mowing the lawn, going on a bike ride. None of them by themselves would have been enough, but there was always something more. After dinner I'll work on a hobby that requires close attention. I'm looking forward to doing that WITHOUT a drink!

As far as work-motivation goes, I understand. I love my current job, but prior ones required more creativity. Hang in there with that!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Orieme, I am on day 23 and as I was gradually withdrawing to stopping, my emotions went through a rollercoaster. I would be exuberant one minute and depressed and anxious the next. I could'nt figure what was going on. Watching sad moments in movies would bring tears to my eyes. However, my sponsor said it was the withdrawal from alcohol that was causing this. Lately, I have been feeling calmer (though not necessarily calm ). I am hoping that as my sobriety time gets longer, the fluctuations become less extreme.

I also have short moments of concentration at work. However, the indifference or inattentiveness is probably like Anna said, a bit of alcohol withdrawal and also you are getting better clarity about your work situation.

Stick with the running ! I was grumpy on Saturday night and after an early morning run, my head cleared and I felt a 1000 times better.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was manic for on and off three months. Anger was the main feeling I had. I am seven months now n I am well better far more levelled out emotionally. I got sponsor, worked the steps and pray and meditate regularly now. Give it time n get some good habits.
Peace
Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, give it time, give your brain and body some time to adjust to your recent sobriety! 10 days in, good for you!