Notices

Mistaken Beliefs about Relapse

Old 09-29-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post. I liked it very much.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Just wanted to share my recent experience with the subject: Some old-timers at my home group were discussing relapses recently - and the issue was a sore spot. They all seemed to agree that relapses "these days" are considered more acceptable, almost like they are an expected part of recovery, much like an 8 year-old losing a tooth. According to these folks, this is a relatively new development in 12-step programs and not a welcome one. Relapses are not a "bump in the road", they are major setbacks and should be treated as such. There was much back-and-forth discussion on the subject.

Believe it or not, I just listened.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Mistaken Belief #4:" Recovering persons will be consciously aware of the warning signs of relapse."
Most people who relapse are not consciously aware of the warning signs as they are occurring. It is only when they look back later that they can see all of the things that were going on. This is often owing to lack of information or denial

I would have swore that I had some mental blank spot when it happened to me. It wasn't until a couple months afterward that I figured it out. Once I did the next time that type of thinking surfaced I was able to stop it.
yeah depends.

When I was actively drinking/not drinking I wasn't aware of relapse signs - I'm not sure I ever used the word relapse - there was drinking and not drinking.

Once I knew a little bit about recovery tho, I learned pretty quickly what my warning signs were and to watch out for them

just because I often found myself at the liquor store and had no idea how I got there didn't mean there were no warning signs, I just didn't know enough to look out for them then

D
Old 09-29-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Fantastic post, I found it super useful. thank you, Eternal !
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Mistaken Belief #9: "Thinking about relapse will bring it about."
Ignoring the possibility of relapse is more likely to bring it about. Those who acknowledge the possibility and think about how it is apt to occur can take action to prevent it.

I like this one. For me, I had to really confront my "relapse-thinking" ideas, and really challenge those thoughts. I had to let myself experience them, and then really think them through. If I constantly pushed them out of my mind or under the rug, they would pop up later with a vengeance and get me! Working through the irrational thoughts I have about using and learning how to confront them has helped me so much. Now when I start to have those thoughts, I'm much stronger and able to get past them more easily without it ending in relapse.

Edit--I wouldn't recommend someone in very early sobriety to confront their deepest, most intense cravings all alone and right away. When I did so, it was with the help of other on SR, and I was in a safe place at home with family. I think sometimes we need help in seeing the irrational thoughts clearly, and in early recovery sometimes we do need to just distract ourselves for a while until we feel strong enough to do this.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Smile Recovery/

Recovery? What is it. Nowadays every kind of issue to do with mental health or drug/ alcohol issues they always quote recovery.it really annoys me because as anyone with mental health issues like myself knows we have good days and bad. I don't know about recovery it's a word I don't like and cured.

It's too subjective.it can mean too many things open to interpretation.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marktg34 View Post
Recovery? What is it. Nowadays every kind of issue to do with mental health or drug/ alcohol issues they always quote recovery.it really annoys me because as anyone with mental health issues like myself knows we have good days and bad. I don't know about recovery it's a word I don't like and cured.

It's too subjective.it can mean too many things open to interpretation.
It's funny because for my group this week, I have an assignment to write down what recovery means to ME. You are right, it is very subjective. I think it's really personal and means different things to different people. But overall I think it's safe to say it's about being in a state of mind where you are working/progressing towards health and well-being. You are right we all have good and bad days, I know I sure do! That doesn't mean we're not in recovery. I think it just means that a year from now, we will look back and see that we have changed in a positive way. Sometimes it is very slow and gradual but that's okay. Even in AA meetings, they say that none of them has ever had anywhere near perfect adherence to their principles, they speak of "progress not perfection."

Hope that made sense!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Just wanted to share my recent experience with the subject: Some old-timers at my home group were discussing relapses recently - and the issue was a sore spot. They all seemed to agree that relapses "these days" are considered more acceptable, almost like they are an expected part of recovery, much like an 8 year-old losing a tooth. According to these folks, this is a relatively new development in 12-step programs and not a welcome one. Relapses are not a "bump in the road", they are major setbacks and should be treated as such. There was much back-and-forth discussion on the subject.

Believe it or not, I just listened.
Hey sombrero.

Yeah, I get that. The idea that "relapse is part of recovery" is yet another unfortunate and misguided offspring of rehabspeak.

When we minimize or dismiss a relapse, no matter how short in duration or how little we drank, it tends to set us up for another relapse.

Yet I still have contradictory thoughts on this issue. On the one hand, I don't believe I learned anything from my three-year relapse. On the other hand, the fact that I don't have any obvious evidence of having learned from my relapse, that doesn't mean I didn't learn anything from it. After all, I am sober today.

Okay, my head just started hurting, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hey sombrero.

Yeah, I get that. The idea that "relapse is part of recovery" is yet another unfortunate and misguided offspring of rehabspeak.

When we minimize or dismiss a relapse, no matter how short in duration or how little we drank, it tends to set us up for another relapse.

Yet I still have contradictory thoughts on this issue. On the one hand, I don't believe I learned anything from my three-year relapse. On the other hand, the fact that I don't have any obvious evidence of having learned from my relapse, that doesn't mean I didn't learn anything from it. After all, I am sober today.

Okay, my head just started hurting, so I'll leave it at that.
Good point - it's like saying that I didn't gain anything from hitting rock bottom. Kind of a circular argument you can have with yourself, a chicken-or-the-egg type of thing. For the record though, I kind of agree that relapsing, in some circles, is treated very "ho hum", especially for those in the early stages. Then again, someone with 3 days of sobriety even CALLING it a "relapse" is also kind of weird. Now my head's hurting. Ha, thanks for the reply and have a good evening.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi EternalQ
Excellent and very useful post. Early in recovery I used to listen to this online website constantly, especially on relapse. I was so worried about relapsing, afraid if I did I would not have the strength or conviction to stay sober. I was very offended when a close friend accused/inquired if I had relapsed and that she had read that it was no biggie.

My sobriety was important to me and I it was a very big issue if I relapsed
Its no wonder that i really much prefer to deal with my recovering peer group when it comes to my discussing sobriety.

There are signs of relapse before you actually relapse

CaiHong
Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thank you for finding this and posting it.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Forgive me for not using the terminology, but I HATE the word relapse in association with alcoholism.

For the first part, I have been dealing with family members who have cancer that relapses, and it has nothing to do with their behavior.

Second of all, it seems TO ME to alleviate personal responsibility, as though some invisible force pulled a bottle to my lips.

I, like many others, have started drinking again after periods of sobriety.

I have learned a good deal from these instances.

For example, I have learned that I need to take recovery seriously, and I cannot use any mind altering substances. Even those that I convinced myself I was not an addict of.

I allow my self coffee. That's it. And sugar, in moderation.

I have also learned about the subtle, and not so subtle thought processes that in fact, DO occur LONG before I am on my way back to a liquor store.

Now, I have become better at seeing these things, and doing what I can to arrest it before it turns into the obsession where I allow myself to listen to that voice.

I agree with much of the OPs post. The wheels started turning and the end result was drinking. Seeing what leads up to it has helped tremendously. So has RR, because I now separate an addictive, habitual voice from my normal consciousness, and I see it in a completely different light.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post DoubleBarrel...it's funny...I felt very strong urges last week to drink...not sure how close I was to relapse, but it scared me. I realised I'd been drinking a bit of caffeine, now I try to avoid it I order to avoid any kind of stimulation, just in case it was that stimulating the parts of my brain recovering from addiction. I'm also conscious of having too much sugar for the same reason now.

EQ, thank you for the post. What was reassuring to me was that relapse IS avoidable, and also how our recovery tools need to adjust once we get through the initial early days and weeks.

I'm at day 66, and feel that transition from, just say no to that first drink to really shaping what life looks like sober for me now. It's tough, easy, confronting, wonderful, scary...but your post was really timely for me. Thank you.xx
Old 09-30-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Mistaken Belief #9: "Thinking about relapse will bring it about."
Replacing the word relapse with DRINKING to me is a big part of slipping back especially in the early part of sobriety. I like the term of thinking of not drinking. BE WELL
Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Very true, and I totally agree w/ Suki that relapse is NOT part of recovery, when people say "Oh it's ok, relapse is part of recovery", it makes me so crazy!!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Mistaken Belief #10: "Relapses have to be full blown returns to heavy alcoholic drinking." A relapse can be stopped at any time, even after only one sip.
I tried the one little sip experiment more than once. Yes I was able to stop for that day, but sometime within the next few days, I needed more. And then more... and then more.

It was like lighting the fuse on a time bomb. I never knew how long it was going to take, but the bomb always went off eventually.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
I tried the one little sip experiment more than once. Yes I was able to stop for that day, but sometime within the next few days, I needed more. And then more... and then more.

It was like lighting the fuse on a time bomb. I never knew how long it was going to take, but the bomb always went off eventually.
I agree that taking the first drink no matter how small can reignite the cravings, and that it can be difficult to resist the cravings, but a relapse can still be cut short at any time by making that choice.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

To clarify the Rational Recovery position... the issue with 'relapse' is that it is a 'recoveryism'. There is no relapse, just a decision to drink. Kinda like what DB just said.

Personally relapse is my biggest fear, so far so good. But there have been times where I felt like drinking was my only option, an extreme craving maybe. Each time I made a decision not to drink.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
jkb

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
To clarify the Rational Recovery position... the issue with 'relapse' is that it is a 'recoveryism'. There is no relapse, just a decision to drink. Kinda like what DB just said.
Personally relapse is my biggest fear, so far so good. But there have been times where I felt like drinking was my only option, an extreme craving maybe. Each time I made a decision not to drink.
Yep, it is a "decision to drink". I don't use the term "relapse" at all. It is not like it is just going to happen to me. I have to choose for it to happen. That is extremely empowering to me to know that I am in control.

Just my thoughts,

Jess
Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post EternalQ. I found it quite interesting and reinforces some of what I've learned but it would have been helpful if you included a brief synopsis of how the authors derived the list, ie. what type of study and interviews were performed as the basis for the information. Did they interview AA members, or alcoholics as defined by some other criteria, etc.

I want to add a personal point. On more than one occasion during early sobriety I have found myself making the decision to drink, in other words setting myself up for a relapse. But through what I believe to be divine intervention, something interfered with my plan. The restaurant was closed and I had time to reconsider. Or in one case, my favorite san pellegrino was on display so I had that instead. Both times something gave me the strength to resist, even when the decision had already been made. I was able to stay sober to fight another day. The urge was gone, in part because I felt my higher power had intervened.

These experiences tell me it is not inevitable, once the wheels are turning, but that something beyond ourselves is required. In both cases I felt it was grace, a gift from my higher power.