Notices

Attended my first sober wedding

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Attended my first sober wedding

I went to a wedding for two of my friends tonight and knew it would be a test. It was my first sober wedding. Thankfully, there was only a cash bar instead of an open bar but there was still plenty of drinking going on. I was at a small table with three other friends and, of the two who did drink, they know my situation so they were kind enough to ask if I would be ok with them having a few.

Knowing I'm going to have to learn to deal with others drinking in front of me sooner or later, I told them I didn't mind. To my surprise, I was perfectly content with my water while they enjoyed their drinks. A few weeks ago I know that would not have been the case.

It felt great to be sober and still have fun with friends at the wedding. It should be noted that the last time I was at the reception venue I had to be taken out in a wheelchair because I was too drunk to walk. That thought crossed my mind as I walked out the doors tonight with my sober head held high
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

ZF....awesome!!! How good did it feel to get home and know you can wake up tomorrow and feel good and with zero regrets! Great job!
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Zeldafan, I felt so good just reading your post right now. A big hug to you, this was a BIG step tonight! Ya-Whooo. Bobbi
Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks jaynie! When I got home it felt great to know I didn't drive when I shouldn't have and I would be able to remember everything the next day hangover free.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job. I am waiting for those tests. My fear is other people asking me if they don't mind if they drink in front of me. I would appreciate it and be upset about it. That other people will feel weird drinking in front of me. I hate that my actions have caused others to feel that they have to ask to be themselves. To each their own
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I also just attended my first sober wedding. It was my sister's wedding and I was the officiant. My sister and her (now) husband asked me if I would perform the ceremony for them back when they announced their engagement last fall. I know for a fact that if I was still drinking I would never have been asked to perform the wedding ceremony. If I was drinking, I would have been drunk well before the start of the ceremony, I would have been slurring, weaving around, mis-speaking, forgetting words and that would all be happening sitting with the family. It was such an incredible honor to be asked to play this role in my sister's life. It truly was one of the greatest days of my life being able to do this, but doubly so because I know that 500 days ago I never would have been asked, and frankly I would have been the x factor at the wedding. Everyone there would have been cringing every time I opened my mouth not knowing what was going to come out. Not knowing if I was going to fall down the stairs, wander off down the street to do shots at a bar out of my family's line of sight, get walked in on vomiting in the common bathroom because I was too drunk to get the door shut properly behind me before the waterworks got reversed. I was a little nervous to have such an enormously important part of the day on my shoulders but I never once considered not doing it, because I knew how proud my entire family would be of me standing up in front clean, freshly groomed, clear eyes and clear speech to unite these two people who mean so much to me. I hesitate to make my sister's wedding day about me in any way but I really feel that a big part of why the day was so special was that she gave me the honor of doing something that I never would have dreamed I was capable of doing when I was drinking. As for the reception, it hasn't ever bothered me to be around other people drinking responsibly. But, I'm not sure if people were drinking less out of respect for me, or if it just always seemed like everyone was drinking way more because I was always drinking so much more than everyone else. Anyway, I just realized that I just hijacked your thread to talk about myself. Congratulations on your first sober wedding, and here's to many more sober weddings for all of us!

Ps, the episode of addicted is on with the younger man who was subsisting on just straight room temperature vodka. Seeing that scene was especially poignant because that was me last Spring when I never would have been considered to officiate the wedding. So here's also to no more dry heaves and seizures!
Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So happy to read this! Good going Zelda!

I thought it was nice too that someone asked you if you were ok with them having a few. Not that we expect people to do that but it's a nice gesture on their part.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Timelord

I went to a wedding yesterday. Really enjoyed it. It was nice not knowing I was going to show myself up or my family. Plus we saved a packet on Taxis as I drove. All in all a great day and I didn't miss drinking. Although my fiancee who drinks very occasionally stank of red wine lol
Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this! I've been in that situation recently as well. It feels good to come out clean and confident on the other side, doesn't it? Congrats.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Zeldafan! Well done. Enjoy your hangover-free day!
Old 09-29-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SweatyHands, thank you for sharing your big victory It really is amazing the things we gave up in order to drink. You don't really see it until you are sober and start enjoying all the things you gave up. In the past, I would have already been drunk by the time I showed up to that wedding and likely made a fool of myself on my friends' big day. Instead I was able to be the funny and goofy guy I was when they met me and do it sober.

I think I've seen that episode of addicted. That's the one with the guy who kept the puke pot next to him, right? The room temp vodka thing hit home with me as well. I used to drink it warm when I would get it from the liquor store because I couldn't wait for it to chill first. Glad to have that behind me!

bigsombrero and GotGrace, enjoying my decision this morning. I got a great full night of sleep and feel nice and rested today. Good thing too because I have a new TV stand to build for the family room today
Old 09-29-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Congrats, ZeldaFan!

My brother's wedding is in November and, even after 6 months sober, I'm still nervous. I'm bringing someone from AA as my +1 for support.

We do what we gotta do, right?