Notices

Newly sober

Old 09-28-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly sober

Hi, all. After drinking myself into a trip to the ER just over 2 weeks ago, I have been sober since. I don't even have a desire to drink right now. I have battled PTSD for over 25 years and self medicated with alcohol. My question is this - after 2 weeks shouldn't I be feeling better? I feel awful. Dull headache, shaky inside, cold and can't sleep without Ativan. I am eating all good things....lots of green veggies and protein. My doctor started me on antidepressants just short of 2 weeks ago. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi snap. My situation is similar. I have PTSD, generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I too, can't seem to sleep without ativan. I think it might be taking awhile for your body to adjust to not drinking. Stay strong, it will get better! I'm on day 7 sober, and feel really good, so it does happen!
Old 09-28-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Snapnstasher
Old 09-28-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome snapnstasher, congrats on your sober time. Glad you have joined us.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I'm glad I found sober recovery.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There is no "quick answer" to "detoxing" from alcohol (or any drugs) just time My advice - what helped me was to BE BUSY. Getting your butt off that sofa/bed is the hardest thing you can do - but it helps so much. I must have cleaned my entire house and car, walked, biked - anything but sit or lie still. Plus moving around will make you spend energy and help with sleep. Just not be sedentary. When I stopped seemed to be when I would notice the feeling I describe as "twinging" or twanging of my nervous system - like someone strumming guitar strings.
I had/have PTSD also - but not for 25 years.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Early recovery is full of ups and downs. If you're not feeling better in a couple weeks might be a good idea to see your doctor.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. I do have an appointment to go back to doctor on Oct 2.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Snap - not to be a downer but I felt pretty ordinary for at least the first month...

different people recover at different speeds - I hope you'll see improvement soon

D
Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi snapnstasher, for some reason your post reminded me of something. As a woman, when you get pregnant over the nine months you're building a person you eat. And as you get bigger with that person inside you you get more tired and don't do so much and then when you've given birth you have work a little bit more in order to get your old body back.

Two weeks is a brilliant achievement, but you may have to go a little longer before you really start to feel the benefits. Don't give up, the only way is up from here on in. xx