Notices

Aa meeting and I am completely lost

Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

If you aren't certain that you can't be a moderate drinker then that is ok. I think most here have tried moderation. Perhaps try Moderation Management. But it calls for a 30 day abstinence period before you begin. Why don't you try 30 days and see how you feel?
Old 09-27-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Doogie92 View Post
@itchy I was thinking the same thing today. I have gone six days and it's better to stay sober than to have to go through even the first six days again lol. I can imagine if I make it a couple months and then relapsed I will feel like all my hard work was wasted. I don't want to wake up again one morning facing yet another "day one"
Amen Doogie, here is another of my past writing on this:

"I believed that I was powerless over alcohol. However I have found that I do have power over sobriety. That is the flip side of being powerless over alcohol dontcha think? I am under the influence literally with alcohol in my system thus not sober. But I can, when sober, choose never to drink again. Ever. That isn't being powerful over alcohol, I am powerless there. But the point is moot as sober, I have the power to stay sober. AA worked for what I needed."

We'll be here, UB2.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

The holding hands and saying the Lords Prayer. Really?? I disagree with so much in AA and the cult-like devotion of some but I take what is good--and some of it is good. There are many alternatives. Find them
Old 09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I already wrote a long AA post in another thread so no point in rehashing.

It works for me. That's honestly all I care about. Maybe it works because I wanted sobriety more than anything and was willing to go to just about any length to get it.

Maybe it works because it just fits with my personality. It helps me with my isolation by enabling me to surround myself with people who understand me and care about my well being.

Maybe it works because I have really stopped fighting with the little details of everything. My desire to point out the flaws in everything kept me drinking because if I was drunk, I didn't have to point out the flaws in myself.

Go if it works. But you really do have to go more than just a couple of times. If it doesn't work, go somewhere else. Get help wherever you can find it.

But I have noticed something in my own experience from doing 4 months of IOP 4 times a week. Those that went to AA in addition to IOP almost always stayed sober. Those that just did IOP and nothing else almost always relapsed. I know there are lots of variables in there. But it's just something I've noticed.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

One thing you have to remember is that AA is made up of people. Just like you and me. They come from all walks of life. Alcoholism does not discriminate.

You are going to run into different personalities, characteristics, backgrounds, families or lack of, race, sexual preference, religious views, culture etc. The list is endless.

Here is a group that the BB states are people that normally would not mix. We are different in a multitude of ways but with one primary purpose. To stay sober and help other alcoholics do the same.

Because of the mix you will come across a variety of people and because of that a variety of groups. Some are down home, hard core, BB thumping AA. They follow the BB to the letter and anyone that disagrees "does not get it". There are others that take the BB and interpret it to the point you wonder if they ever read it. Then there are the levels in between and there are many of them.

Not only will you find the varying groups but you will find people from one group at another, they may not agree with that groups view but the reason they are there is because of the primary purpose. To stay sober and help other alcoholics so the same.

I had one guy tell me there should be no men or women only meetings because it was not that way 78 years ago. Well we used to read by candlelight and ride in covered wagons too.

The tough part for the newcomer is to find their own place in this mix. Find the group they like and were they fit in. Even when they find it they still must determine what works for them personally.

Now I believe in the primary purpose, the BB and working the steps. I have a sponsor and a home group. I have started service work to give back and be part of the solution. This keeps me sober. I have a HP of my understanding. I call it God out of default. I could call him Steve if I want to, the label does not matter, it is that I turn over my will to him. When I am trying to take control back, I have to let go and give it to him. When I have a problem that I can do nothing about, I give it to him.

I am not saying AA is for you or for everyone that has come to the conclusion they are an alcoholic. AA is but one recovery method but for me the principles, the promises, the people have become my way to live a sober life. It is not the only thing in my life but it is a large part of it. I still go to work, shop and have my hobbies. I am still an individual with my own personality and characteristics. The AA program has taught me how to live with them and to work on removing the selfishness and defects that led me to the bottle over and over. The program and the people have saved my life so I am a bit biased.

Willingness does not mean leave yourself at the door, it means open yourself up to the possibles that lay behind it.