Notices

Exhaustion in early sobriety?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exhaustion in early sobriety?

Hello there internet world.

I'm a 27 year old woman who has struggled with alcohol and drugs for about 9 years now? Kind of all blurs together.

This weekend I definitely hit my rock bottom. I had been drinking and was involved in a pretty bad car accident, effectively causing $5,000 worth of damage to a brand new car that I am still paying off. Thank God, or whoever is out there watching out for me that I did not hurt anyone else, myself or have anything more DREADFUL happen as of this moment. I could have possibly been arrested for a 2nd DUI and spent the weekend sitting in jail. I still have yet to see what will happen, but at the moment all that I can do is live in the moment, work on things one tiny task at the time AND NOT DRINK AT ALL EVER AGAIN.

I'm been calling around trying to find recovery programs, but I fear that my options are slim until my health insurance kicks in at the beginning of November. I know that I need some sort of serious help because I have been binge drinking heavily to the point of blacking out almost every time I drank for about 2 years now (every other day, need some time to drink moderately through the hangover!) and abusing alcohol and drugs for many more years.The past few years I have felt like I'm not able to get DRUNK ENOUGH, no matter how much I drank.

I have not been able to get anything accomplished in my life because I've been too busy drinking and getting myself into and out of trouble.

So far I have attended a few AA meetings and have found what people have to say there has been helpful, but I do have several questions so, !

1. How do I kind of "take the next step" at AA? I would like to kind of just talk with someone there, and it feels kind of hard because VERY FEW people there are either around my age or women? Lots of older men.

2. Is it normal to feel EXHAUSTED in early recovery? I am so, so tired lately. I think the stress of the accident this weekend has definitely been bothering me because I've been having a really hard time sleeping and staying asleep. I can get a few hours before I wake up SOAKED in sweat.

3. I am CRAVING crap like never before, sugar and white carbs. Is it better just to kind of take it easy on myself and give into these cravings, or should I be flooding my body with fruit and veg to get in more nutrients?

I am so confused, so I guess anything you have to share would help.

Eternally grateful
Old 09-26-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. What a horrible experience you've been through - SO glad you're ok!
The sweating and craving sugar etc, sound like typical withdrawal symptoms and should ease off in a few days.
You've had an awful shock, so go easy on yourself and welcome to SR
Old 09-26-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're safe and that you are going to stop drinking.

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous and unpredictable. I think it's normal to feel tired, but, again, talking to your dr is always the best thing.

If you look around here, you will find we use a lot of different recovery methods and hopefully you will find one that works for you.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi thisibelieve. I can empathize with everything you said. Binge drinking, black outs, wrecking my car and a DUI. The DUI and one other *horrible* incident happened at the tail end of my worst days, in July. I have since then come here, admitted to my problem, talked openly with friends and family and started going to AA meetings. It has been hard and I've had slips but I know there's no other option. And it sounds like you've arrived at that point to. Congrats, and hopefully you're able to see the grace in it .

To answer your questions:

1. See if you can find a women's meeting. I feel most comfortable at those still. Not sure if you're in an area with lots of meetings to attend, but try a bunch. My friend who's been sober for six years said I need to expect to try 10 before I find one I love. That said, when you go, FORCE yourself to say you're new and that you want a sponsor. You don't need to *know* your sponsor, you don't need to *connect* with them, you just need someone to be accountable to who will start you on step work.

2. Exhaustion - YES. I felt like I was walking through fog or oatmeal for weeks. Still get dips of that. Think about the shift in your body - you've been abusing it heavily for nine years. Someone told me to treat myself like a newborn and just worry about the most basic things: good food, water, sleep and if you can, exercise. Keep it very, very simple.

3. The cravings are outrageous; I still can't believe it. Apparently your body gets used to processing incredibly high amounts of sugar when you're drinking and when you stop, it wants to maintain those levels. Also, sugar and carbs and fat increase the dopamine levels in your brain, which is what booze does, before it drops you on your ass .

Hopefully this helps, keep coming here, you can do it and it'll be worth it.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome thisibelieve! You found a great place for support & friendship.

I was very tired for a few weeks after quitting. It takes a while to heal from all we've put ourselves through. I agree with lala - keep it simple. Tiny baby steps at first. I also had the sugar craving & it finally settled down too. I mean, I was grabbing lollipops - anything - to pacify myself. The only remaining obsession is ice cream.

I'm happy you joined us. I hope you'll find the help & encouragement you need.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Welcome Thisibelieve, you will get plenty of support here. I agree perhaps a visit to the doctor is in order
Be kind to yourself, the housework can wait a day or two, drink plenty of fluids. If you can't bring yourself to eat get some diet shakes, just to get the right nutrients in to you.
Keep close by for support, we have a Class of September 2013 thread for those quitting this month, or the Year and Under thread is fab too.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! I'm glad you've joined us. We're a very supportive lot.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
p***enger

Thisibelieve, welcome, and congrats on taking the step to admit the problem -- also to visit AA.

I think the exhaustion is normal. I was shaky & sweaty like I had the flu for about a week, and in a mental fog for a lot longer than that. It does get better.

Sugar cravings seem to be really common. I went for lollipops & Lifesavers at first, constantly -- now it's just a cookie or two a day, and ice cream when the cravings get bad. What is it w/ice cream anyway???? God's special compensation to the recovering drunk???

I suggest you stick close to SR -- it's a great source of support!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have come to the right place

I'm off to bed but wanted to quickly post that I was totally exhausted for 90 days. Everyone is different but that's how it was for me. I slept so much I started to worry. But the wise peeps here and at meeting assured me I was not dying of a terrible sleeping disease but recovering from alcohol abuse. They were right. It passed.

Best of luck to you and please stick around!!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to you :-) you will love it here.

Thanks for that comment iwillwin. I am 90 days tomorrow and i am still in bed needing to sleep most days . Its a debilitating tiredness. I simply cannot function properly yet.

You give me hope that it gets better
Thanks xx
Old 09-27-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pulling for you. OK?