Notices

Major Temptation - Day 7

Old 09-26-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major Temptation - Day 7

Tomorrow will be day seven for me, it was at this point I failed last time and I'm intent on not letting that happen again.

It would seem that fate is lining up against me however:
  1. Tomorrow is pay day. Excuse for a binge
  2. We've had issues with the servers in work which has meant early morning and double shifts, work have rewarded our efforts with.... Yep, you guessed it, drinks at a local bar. Excuse for a binge
  3. It's "Share Day" (Shares in the company employees are given are sold and put through as part of pay). Excuse for a binge

My plan is to go shopping and buy a game or something to occupy me for the weekend. Perhaps go jogging again too... But I know I'll be bombarded by friends and colleagues with invitation to go out a.k.a get drunk which is precisely what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's always an excuse to use or drink...we have to work harder to find excuses not to...(sometimes a lot harder) but it's far more rewarding

you can do this orieme

D
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
quat

It sounds like you practically have it in the bag. You are intent on not letting the AV have its way, you identified all the lame ass 'excuses' its going to throw at you, that is like 99% of the battle right there, good one.
Keep to your intentions, if it comes down to it just worry about the now. I will not drink now. The now with the check in hand, the now when the invites come.
You are doing good in this now, right? Don't get overwhelmed by trying to live all of tomorrow at once, you got this. Sometimes it isn't one day at a time , sometimes its easier to just do it one now at a time. I know it may sound odd or silly but this thought process helped me, hope it helps you. Game, jog, read have a great weekend
Old 09-26-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

By day 7, you've done all the hard work with the physical withdrawals.. why would you want to do THAT all over again?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know that tomorrow will be a tough day, so be prepared as much as you can be.

Why don't you plan to treat yourself to something with your pay day cash - some new music, a good movie, whatever works for you?
Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You don't have to act on those excuses.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 30 was my breaking day last time if fell. I look back on the last time I had to detox all over again and the memory of that alone is enough to scare me to stay straight and sober.
Good luck. Be strong!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No half measures

There will always be a reason to drink and there will always be a whole lot more reasons not to drink. I would sprint out of work like a grizzly bear was chewing on my b*** and reward myself with something sober.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong and think about where alcoholism leads: death, jail, or a mental institution.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi orieme, well done on recognizing the excuses. Focus on the positive benefits of not drinking. Have a great day 7. It does get easier with time.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
dcd
Diana

Stay strong Orieme. You recognize the situation now is the hard part staying out of it. Stay strong you got this.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey there, day 7 was a big one for me as well. You already know the triggers which is great. My suggestion is that you plan that day right down to the very last detail, ie, have a program and stick to it! And when I say detailed, I mean to be able to account for every half hour of your waking hour from when you get up to when you sleep. Just for that day !
Old 09-26-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Protect your sobriety, like you say they are excuses, don't give yourself permission to drink, refuse too. Its in your control x
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on a week! Maybe you can call it a set of seven reps! Like working out. Then Saturday you start a new set with day one of set two. I am half serious. Keep going. I got here from there so can you. Here are the steps I used:
1. Don't take a drink.
2. Repeat as necessary.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week!

Perhaps you could magically come down with an illness and stay in for the weekend. Or you're on antibiotics so you can't drink.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the support and advice.

I went, shopping this afternoon, to the bar where I spent the time talking to a friend who also was not drinking which was actually refreshing. It's amazing how silly drunk people sound when talking to one another... Came home an hour later, went jogging and now at home.

Here's hoping I can last the entire weekend .