Notices

First Outpatient Group Therapy Session

Old 09-26-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink First Outpatient Group Therapy Session

I met with my group for the first time this morning and it was nothing short of awesome! I had been afraid for so many years that I would choke on my own tears the moment I identified as an alcoholic in a room full of strangers. At first, I was very apprehensive about protocol and when to speak or not speak. I notice that in AA (the model upon which my program is based), there seems to be a lot of buzzwords and phrases and unwritten rules that you need to abide by.

Much to my surprise before the counselor asked me to introduce myself and talk a bit about my background, I was busting at the seems to do so. Finally, I was in a room with people that had abused themselves as much as I have, and in many cases, more so.

My first impression is that this is all very much like kindergarten and even seems somewhat patronizing. But, then I have to realize that the behavior that got me to this state was the lack of impulse control and not being able to foresee the consequences of drinking, both of which are things that are childish, so maybe I am in the right place. At any rate, I need to learn some very new coping skills and I am hopeful.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it went well for you and that you think it will be helpful in your recovery.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great DagnyTaggart! I found outpatient group to be very therapeutic. Although I am generally quiet by nature, listening to other people talk through the same issues I was facing really helped me gain some perspective.

In my program, everyone had a day where they were granted 30 minutes to give a "usage history" in an effort to describe to the group why they ended up in treatment. I was very nervous on my day, but it was a big release to lay it all out on the table.

If you have a good group there will be little to no judgment and a lot of support. Get to know these people and get some phone numbers. I keep in touch with several group members to this day, and it is very helpful.

Like anything, you get out of treatment what you put into it. Follow your counselors' recommendations as well as take advantage of any mental health services they offer and you will be off to a great start.

Best of luck!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
IOP has been one of the tools I've used to stay sober, along with AA.

I started out going 4 times a week for 2 hours at a time. I did that for 4 months, plus AA every day.

I still go to two sessions a week. The counselor says I don't have to come anymore but I keep showing up as long as my insurance keeps paying for it. Anything to help me stay sober for the day.

I find IOP a nice change of pace from AA because crosstalk is allowed and you can get immediate feedback on any issue you're facing.

Don't be afraid to be honest with the group. Like you said, they are as sick as you are and you all are there to help and support each other.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes crosstalk!