SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Alone and craving (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/308806-alone-craving.html)

NewRebirth 09-26-2013 01:03 PM

Alone and craving

I'm alone right now, day 4, and I am having thoughts of buying a bottle of wine. I don't want to, but I WANT to... OY. I'm just trying to clean and walk around and listen to comedy but my mind is wandering to the UDF half a block from my house. Ugh

croydonlad 09-26-2013 01:05 PM

I've found sitting down and reading in the past has helped. My mind is soon on the book and nothing else and I feel relaxed.

I'm just back trying to stay sober too.

SkyeSea 09-26-2013 01:06 PM

Hey, think of the aftermath of drinking a bottle - imagine it's tomorrow morning...how would you feel?
At day 4, you're almost over the worst of the withdrawals and you'd be going back to the beginning. It's SO not worth it for a load of liquid x

least 09-26-2013 01:07 PM

A craving is just a feeling and doesn't have to become an action. Don't buy that bottle of wine.:( You'll regret it tomorrow.:(

wardo247 09-26-2013 01:07 PM

I too have that same feeling right now. A pint of Vodka would easy my pain and cravings.. but I know it will be harder to stop if I start. The liquor store is a block away, it is a beautiful day outside and I feel like **** on the inside. Nice to know that someone else is going through it too.

Anna 09-26-2013 01:07 PM

You can get through this without drinking.

resolute50 09-26-2013 01:09 PM

Stay here and camp out a while till the urge goes away.
Just remember how bad you felt when you first posted here.

You're doing great with 4 days behind you!:c011:
It does get easier as the days go by. Trust me,I know.
Been there and done that.

DagnyTaggart 09-26-2013 01:14 PM

I didn't have any cravings (yet), but I stayed on here last night and read posts until my eyelids were heavy. It helps, a lot.

NewRebirth 09-26-2013 01:22 PM

I'm making lunch and watching comedy. Trying to resist. It would be so easy, but I would lose 4 days, and my conviction. Ugghhh

lessgravity 09-26-2013 01:30 PM

Don't do it.

I have the exact same feeling. Going to just ride it out, surf the urge.

Let's NOT drink.

NewRebirth 09-26-2013 01:32 PM

*deep breath* I don't like being alone, I'm really glad you folks are here to talk to. Thank you for all the support. I don't think I would have made it this far, even though it's just 4 days

wardo247 09-26-2013 01:43 PM

you can do it

jaynie04 09-26-2013 01:58 PM

I've heard it said here before...you have to beg, borrow and steal those first few weeks. Hang on. If you can have a milkshake that helps...kind of hard to drink feeling that full.

Dee74 09-26-2013 02:09 PM

There are some great tips to deal with cravings here newrebirth :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

once I learned I didn't have to act on cravings, I took away their power over me - you can do this :)

D

Nuudawn 09-26-2013 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NewRebirth (Post 4203862)
even though it's just 4 days

It's not JUST 4 days....these are the hardest my friend. But it is so doable. Another poster mentioned reading. I found books (e.g Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Drinking) that aid recovery to be extremely helpful to keep my mind in the right place.

NewRebirth 09-26-2013 02:28 PM

Thank you guys, so much. I can't believe how hard this is, when it was so easy the last 3 days. Ugh

lala34mc 09-26-2013 02:33 PM

I am on day 4 as well and have had the SAME thoughts in the past hour. I'm busying myself around the house and am going to read or watch Orange is the New Black :).

It's incredibly, incredibly hard not to give in. I wish I could go to a meeting but I have my daughter at home tonight and I just need to figure out how to surf these cravings on my own!

I feel you, stay strong!

NewRebirth 09-26-2013 02:40 PM

I LOVE Orange is the New Black, what a great show! Actually, I may watch that now!

dwtbd 09-26-2013 02:45 PM

The only way I found to beat cravings was to not give in. Stare it down and scream no at it. The more you do that the weaker it becomes. It's like one of those Marine moto sayings "pain is weakness leaving the body" , kinda manly corny but with some truth.
If you give in the craving will go away,obviously, but what will it be replaced with, not a good alternative to say the least. It sucks and its hard but the best is to ride it out, the more you do the less powerful they become.
wish you well , it is definately doable

lala34mc 09-26-2013 02:46 PM

We'll watch together! :)

I agree that it's not JUST four days. In my experience, the first few days are epic.

And the witching hour for me is right about now. All my co-workers went out for drinks, most of my friends too, it's Thursday, a big "go out" night, and it's gorgeous out.

Aside from the cravings, the feelings of isolation and loneliness and not trying so damn hard for a moment are painfully alluring. But if I separate that voice from myself and give it a spot I can make it to the next moment, then the next, and the next, and then...it's another day.

I have to have faith it will not always feel like this. But today it does and we can stay sober together.