Notices

8 Days

Old 09-26-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days

I've decided I need to make some major changes in my life, the life I'm living now and have been living for a very long time is no longer working for me.

I've been drinking for a very long time and am now 8 days sober! I need to address my reasons for drinking.

I'm in a unhealthy relationship and have been for many years, not abusive just unhealthy, I've told myself I've stayed for the kids and when they get older I'll leave. The kids have gotten older, they'll be out of the house in a year or 2 and I'm still here, I think out of convenience or maybe fear of being on my own after 26 years. either way I use drinking to cope.

I know I also drink out of boredom.

so these are the issues I need address, I've talked to my doctor and he has been very supportive and am working with him in regards to the drinking and depression.

Thanks for reading!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LBM I hope you can make the changes you need too to be happy & safe, well done on 8 days L x
Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dcd
Diana

Today is my 8th day sober too. I liked to drink for many reasons. You are making major changes, but good ones. I went to one AA meeting and started reading the big book. I go once a week because I do not like to travel around to the different ones. The women all gave me phone numbers to call if I needed and everyone was so kind. I do hear that I should go to one a day, but have a phobia of getting lost around here. I am going to look for online meetings to attend the other days. I had a day that I cried because my cravings at times make me think about tossing everything wonderful in life away for a drink. I can not say anything negative about my life with my husband. He is wonderful and supportive. It is me that has been a problem hurting him with my drinking. Just my insane craving to feel the high I get from it. It is nice to see someone on the 8th day too. My biggest fear is how do I learn to live and have fun without a drink. I wish you the best with journey. One thing I do know is that when you are sober things will all fall in to place. I think drinking clouds things up, so we do not handle them and just get numb. Thank you for sharing
Old 09-26-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

hey LBM ,

8 days and sorting your life out ? phew you work quick welcome to SR .

Keep on keeping on ,

Bestwishes, m

P.S. hello @ dcd nice to have you here as well ..
Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome LBM1, congrats on 8 days sober. Glad you are here.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! You've come to a great place for support. I'm glad you found us and joined our family.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome LBM

I think it's best to focus on one thing at a time. If you focus on your drinking problem for now, I'm sure you'll find that you'll be far better equipped to think about and deal with all the other stuff in a few months time

just my 2 cents

D
Old 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies!

I plan on tackling one thing at a time and the drinking being in the fore front. The relationship issue I'm not financially ready to tackle but am starting to put a plan into motion to address it down the road.