Notices

I need to learn to live

Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to learn to live

Hey all. My story is pretty bad, I am an alcoholic/sometimes pain killer abuser, but haven't been able to get a hold of any pills in over a year thankfully. I haven't had a job in 10 years and I weigh over 400 lbs. I can't do much with the shape that I'm in, so finding a job is pretty desperate for me. I need treatment for my addiction and health, but obviously I can't afford it. I was wondering if any of you were aware of any government type programs that could get me into a rehab or just insight on a better starting point then where I'm at now. I have no idea where to start. I live in a very rural area so there isn't much around here save for AA which I will be attending as well. I've finally hit rock bottom and it feels hopeless. I can't believe I let it drag on this long. People will find it hard to feel sorry for me, myself especially, I've had every opportunity to succeed given to me and I pissed most of it away. TIA!

edit: I should also add that as you can tell I've been here for a while, I have tried to sober up many times. I've done counseling and AA before but have never been able to last more than a couple months. This why I feel like I need to be in patient somehow.

Last edited by ScreenName; 09-24-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: extra details
Old 09-24-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I do not know any government program, at least not in the us.

It is not easy to change screenname, hard for most of us. Keep working on it and take one day at the time.

I hope it will work for you this time. Are you involved in AA now?
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah, I will be going to my first meeting in a long time tomorrow.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

You have the power to change yourself ScreenName , if you want it and work for it .

Nice to see you posting ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-24-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck ScreenName, and welcome back. I don't think it's ever to late to turn things around. Getting sober should be your first priorty though, and glad you see it that way. Your health, weight, motivation and entire life can and will improve if you can accomplish that. Ask at the AA meeting if anyone knows of any nearby resources you might get help from at a low cost or free. If anyone knows, the folks at AA will. Best of luck at the meeting and in the meantime you can ask as many questions as you want here, or share whatever you like for free.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ScreenName - welcome

I agree with Scott that asking at the meeting would be a good way forward

there's also this national database of treatment facilities - simply enter your general location then hit the 'select services' button and you can refine the results to criteria like cost etc

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator
D
Old 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I will ask at the meeting. I am alive it's time to own this before it owns me. Even if that means no rehab, I suppose if I go into AA and counseling now more willing to get sober I may have better results. I appreciate the responses, I'm also sorry if my first post came off a little strange, I'm on day 2 and the thoughts are racing.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I'm glad you're giving it one more try.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Ask people at the meetings what is available in your area!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What do you do if you live in a small town and burned bridges? In the past I made appointments I didn't keep, I even had medical tests done about 4 months ago at a sliding scale medical facility and didn't show up for my appointment for the results. I made appointments at the one counseling center I didn't keep. I'm already so ashamed how do I go back? Ecspecially to people who seem to not really give a ****.