Notices

Quitting Xanax and alcohol

Old 09-24-2013, 12:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Quitting Xanax and alcohol

Hi, my name is Lisa, I quit Xanax 16 days ago and have drank 5 nights of those 16 days, I went to a doctor and was prescribed Librium for 5 days to taper off the Xanax so I think I'm safe from withdrawls but I'm still having trouble feeling normal I've been a binge drinker for 14 years I'm 32... I've made so many embarrassing/ detrimental decisions because of drugs and alcohol and would truly like to quit but I'm having the hardest time, any advice on changing patterns and handling the anxiety would be great.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.

The anxiety can be rough. Wish I had some sage advice, becuse I have anxiety bad, too, after two years nine months sober. I take medication for it which has been a lifesaver.
It does take changing patterns to quit. The thing that works for me, is thinking of where that first drink will lead me. My anxiety was so much worse when I drank.

I've never drank while on my med, way too dangerous and it will increase your anxiety the next day leading to a viscious cycle of drinking and pills.

I wish you the best. Just take things one day at a time.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your response, I feel a lot better today it really is the alcohol that causes the anxiety, as well as the Xanax. I wish I could take the Xanax and not drink but It alters my mind and I always end up drinking it might take a week but always ends up happening and that's when I wake up and something crazy has happened:/ what kind of medication do you take that helps you?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The Librium will help with withdrawals, but do be careful about swopping one addiction for another. There are many great programs discussed here. I do not wish to promote one above any other, but you will find one (or more than one) that suits you.
Keep posting and reading for now.
Good luck and best wishes.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I think changing daily routines and habits helped me a lot in early recovery from alcoholism. I found the hardest time of the day for me was right after supper and early evening. So, I started taking long walks. I think any small change you make can help you to shake the habit, but it's important to remember that recovery involves much more than just stopping drinking.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome!

I drank alcohol for years and then one day I started experiencing crippling anxiety. I was introduced to Xanax at that point and the vicious cycle began of drinking and then taking the Xanax to "come down"...I always got my Xanax from a doctor and it was a low dose but I was dependent on it...finally I got off both safely and after a couple of months the anxiety was gone. I hardly remember what it feels like. But of course it is different for everybody.

Once you are ready to quit both...use the Librium exactly as directed by your doctor. It is good for alcohol as well as benzo withdrawals. My doctor gave me Librium once and warned me if I was going to drink then "don't take the Librium"...In the meantime, your doctor might also know what else to prescribe along with the Librium to help you along...

It sounds like you know what's causing the problem and are on the right track!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LisaPB View Post
Thanks for your response, I feel a lot better today it really is the alcohol that causes the anxiety, as well as the Xanax. I wish I could take the Xanax and not drink but It alters my mind and I always end up drinking it might take a week but always ends up happening and that's when I wake up and something crazy has happened:/ what kind of medication do you take that helps you?
I take Klonopin for anxiety, but I have a severe anxiety disorder. I get them from a psychiatrist. Again, drinking on a benzo is dangerous. I recommend seeing a doctor after you quit drinking, one familiar with psychotropic medication. Prefferably a psychiatrist. You may have an underlying disorder that was masked by alcohol.

Good luck and best to you.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you guys all for your replies they're very supportive and helpful, I like the ideas of walks cause I agree evenings are my "trigger times" I own a hair salon and serve wine and I always want a glass while I clean up, and then it begins... I'm just going to start walking home and hurry lol I think I'm going to try and not take anything at first but I do think seeing a doctor is a good idea I've already had blood work done and luckily everything came back normal. I was happily shocked. So now no excuses. Again thanks for the support.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LisaPB View Post
Hi, my name is Lisa, I quit Xanax 16 days ago and have drank 5 nights of those 16 days, I went to a doctor and was prescribed Librium for 5 days to taper off the Xanax so I think I'm safe from withdrawls but I'm still having trouble feeling normal I've been a binge drinker for 14 years I'm 32... I've made so many embarrassing/ detrimental decisions because of drugs and alcohol and would truly like to quit but I'm having the hardest time, any advice on changing patterns and handling the anxiety would be great.
Hi Lisa,

I'm in the process of withdrawing from benzos and alcohol and have natural anxiety too. The combo of any benzo - librium or xanax and alcohol is a catalyst for a rough long ride with plenty of rebound anxiety. But you can get there. One thing i've learnt once you've had dealings with benzos and alcohol it only gets worse if you go back there. I have kindling now which means I withdraw badly each time I drink excessively and the chances of seizures increase each time.

For me I try as many herbal/supplements that are out there and drink a hell of a lot of herbal teas (hence the name). I would rather rough out an anxiety week than go back to benzos.... tho here I am once again.
I know we can't give medical advice but look up lots of herbs and the effects of certain foods too not just for anxiety but mood in general and of course ask your doc before you start something. Overtime you can rebalance your brain from the damage of binge drinking and even improve function. Ya cant put poop into a machine and expect it to run heh.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hello, Lisa. I was taking small and then large and then vast quantities of xanax. It's good that your doctor is helping you get off of them, but after the initial w/d symptoms, you may still get some strange brain shocks, anxiety, depression, lethargy, insomnia, etc. I did, and for quite a while. But that's normal and once your brain sorts itself it stops freaking you out. Follow doctors orders, educate yourself on benzos, and be your own best advocate.
I wish you the best!