Notices

First aa

Old 09-23-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First aa

I just went to my first aa meeting. It was a lot better than I expected and am hopeful that aa can help me stay sober this time. I really want to be sober, I just have a hard time staying sober, and I really hope this is the thing that can help.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also just came back from my first meeting and I also found it to be a lot better than I expected. The fellowship was nearly instant and it let me know I wasn't alone anymore.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck to you Doogie...and Sean (Edit!) I have been going to four meetings a week for the last month. It is the longest (30 days tomorrow) I have been sober in over a decade and it is because of AA. I will add that I was and still am a sceptic about some of that AA does, but the face to face fellowship of others on the same path is wonderful support.

Give it a few more goes is my advice.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for both of you! Give AA a chance to work, I know it works for many here. Great job in taking steps to recover.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How often do you think I need to go?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome, Doogie and Sean, I'm glad you've found the fellowship welcoming. Hopefully, somebody in those rooms will soon direct your attention to the Chapter 5 opening, 'Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.' I've seen many fail who expect that showing up for meetings and hanging around sober people will keep them from drinking. I've seen none fail that thoroughly followed the path as it's laid out in that Big Book. The path is the 12 Steps, btw. Best of luck to you both.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

as often as the sponser that you have not got yet (but soon will) suggests......
Welcome to recovery.
G
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would go every day if that is an option for a couple of weeks if you can manage it. Some people make it 30 meetings in 30 days - some 90 in 90 days! That may seem a bit extreme, but for some people that is the way they have got and stayed sober. As often as you need I would say. ..that is probably a few more than you think you want to! ;-)

Originally Posted by Doogie92 View Post
How often do you think I need to go?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The program works if you are willing to put forth the effort. AA meetings are the fellowship part of the program and I would not be sober today with out them.

There is no set amount of meetings. Just keep coming back.

I will be six months sober tomorrow and I go to at least 4 a week, sometimes more, but everyone is different.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Thanks for posting. It takes more than a little courage to go for your first meeting. Afterward most believe they should have attended much sooner.

Thanks for sharing your experiences of the first meeting. It may encourage others who can benefit.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm really shy and awkward so I'm nervous for my first meeting. Any tips for someone who's never been?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am really shy as well. I do not condone smoking, but I will give my experience. I had a smoke right before I went in, to take the edge off, and ran into five people going in or coming out. They all greeted me, were very friendly, and it stopped me shaking from nerves. If you don't smoke, good for you, and also, it might be good to get their a little early to meet people out front. It helped me get in the door. There were smokers and non-smokers hanging out front.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Eef89 Call your local AA office and ask about the different meetings. You might want to go to a small one. You also might ask the person on the phone if they would be willing to go with you for support. You don't need to say anything in a meeting if you don't want to.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We are always hanging outside before and after the meeting. If you can muster the courage just walk up to another guy, if you are a guy, or gal, if you are a gal and say hi.

We have all been to a first meeting. I always say Hi, I am GracieLou and offer my hand to shake. The more you go the more you get to know people. It takes some time but after a few weeks I knew just about everyone at that group. There are many meetings, groups and formats.

Take you time to find what you like. If you don't like the first one then go to a different one. We are everywhere...lol
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you are shy you might try phoning a local contact. You should be able to find a number on-line - most towns and cities have one. Someone will usually be happy to meet you separately or outside the meeting for a chat and even bring you into your first.

It can be tough but if you remember that every single person there has gone through the same thing and knows exactly what it is like..and generally treat newcomers accordingly that can help a lot.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I very shy too, I almost turned around when I got there. I just sat down and introduced used when asked but said I didn't want to say more. By the end I felt much more comfortable and relaxed, everyone was very nice
Old 09-23-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Day tripper

Congrats! I'm extremely introverted, but it's really important to get to meetings anyway. I've never left a meeting thinking "Wow, I wish I'd spent the last hour doing something else." There's always something new to learn and people to talk to.

Keep it up!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No half measures

AAers are the nicest most non threatening people you will ever meet. I would recommend telling the group that you have never been to a meeting if asked. The reality is much less scarey than what you have imagined. A lot of people feel at home almost immediately. Just go.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Don,t be afraid ............We were all there once too.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
AA member

Great news you went to your first meeting and are going back.

you can go to as few or as many meetings as you want.Just keep going.

I hope you got some phone numbers so that you have someone to call in between meetings?

Wishing you well